New steering wheel

• I reckon it would be easier to use an E36 wheel and fit the MF inserts, as then you don't have any problems with the E39's two-stage airbag and the different slip ring. I suppose it would just be a case of sorting out the wiring. As for the 840 in the article, I think he bought himself a brand new wheel hence the reason it looks so nice!

• No offence intended to Seb or Tony but personally I don't like that design of steering wheel very much - I don't like the great black Christmas Pud lump in the middle. Currently I have the M Sport 3 spoke (same as Seb removed) fitted and the only gripe I have is that I'd like to have MF buttons. Anyone know what other wheels (with MF) would fit? (without mucking about with slip rings etc)

Cheers,
    Jason

• Basically only the E36 one will fit straight onto the E31 - they share the same single-stage airbag and the same slip ring. The E38 and E39 multi-function wheels both use multi-stage airbags and both have different slip rings, so they'd require some work in order to get them to fit and operate correctly.

Jason, unfortunately, I am now deeply offended :( so please keep your comments about my wheel to yourself in the future... :wink:
    There's no MF steering wheel that will fit straight onto the E31 unfortunately, all will require some modifications in order to fit.

• With or without the MF controls I'd like to change to the smaller wheel purely because it's much nicer to drive with.
    Having owned an old E36 for 8 years I've kinda gotten used to the smaller size wheel and can't see that fitting one into the E31 is going to make the steering noticable heavier.
    Even if it does I'll happily live with it as it'll also mean less of a stretch when steering with the palm of your hand, so I'm well up for it.
    It looks from this thread like the guys with later E31s are pretty well sorted but can anyone say for certain what E36/E46 year/model steering wheels will fit the earlier (pre Sept' '94) E31 steering column?

• Zitat von ///M Turbo

Here's a picture of my wheel, Which is wired to my ipod and a alpine iva-d900 to control the volume and fast forward to the next song, I didn't use all the MF's so far, I'm replacing this wheel soon with a Carbon fiber one which looks the same.

That's exactly the set-up I'd like to get for my car. What wheel is that one anyway? I have the same design wheel but without MF buttons - did you rig the buttons up yourself or is that a transplant from a different car?

Cheers,
    Jason

• Hey marv

What year is your car thats fitted with this wheel?

I tried to put one on my 1994 car but the splined shaft of the steering columb was a different size to the wheel!

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I have the 3-spoke sports steering wheel in my 8, and I bought one of the multi-function versions like M Turbo has, with the intention of swapping my single stage airbag onto it. It does physically fit, but the newer wheel doesn't come with a slip ring, it seems that is part of the car on later models. As a result, the area around the splines is different, so while the wheel would physically fit, the old slip ring wouldn't meaning I couldn't hook up my horn and airbag, let alone the MF buttons.

I'd be interested in finding out what work was done to allow the slip ring to be fitted to the MF wheel. Also, how did you hook up the MF buttons, seeing that there are no spare wires in our slip ring? And can the MF buttons be connected directly to a compatible head unit, or is an interface box required?

Cheers.

• The newer wheel does come with a slip ring, You will need the plugs from the newer ring or you can make your own, The volume buttons were installed into my alpine IVA-D900 radio from a local stereo shop, Took them 5 minutes once they had my radio opened, Cost was $40.00 US for the wiring, The slip ring is also availabe at the dealer but it pops up on ebay alot also.

Marv,

• Are you saying a newer steeringwheel i.e from a e46 would fit an 1990 8 with some minor modifications?

I have the multi function M-steeringwheel in my e46, and I'd love to have the same one in my old 8. but I thought it would'nt fit on old 8's the spline

This is the one I'd like in my 8

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von Seb

Basically only the E36 one will fit straight onto the E31 - they share the same single-stage airbag and the same slip ring. The E38 and E39 multi-function wheels both use multi-stage airbags and both have different slip rings, so they'd require some work in order to get them to fit and operate correctly.
    There's no MF steering wheel that will fit straight onto the E31 unfortunately, all will require some modifications in order to fit.

My mod of an E46 steering wheel with multifunction in my 96'er CSi (full functionality, Radio and Cruise Control)

and here's the E39 Multifunction steering wheel in my 91'er 850i

this picture shows the active Cruise Control (green lamp with the left/right symbols)

I develop this cruise control interface. The Interface talk with the MFL Buttons and with the EML of the car. It's possible the connect the old stick to.

many greetings :P
    Martin

Webmaster Int. 8-series community Switzerland
    http://www.8er.org

• Hello Everybody and HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

Thank you for the info Martin, that looks very interesting!

By the way, I didn't know about your site; nice to have something about the E31 in Switzerland.

I'll register on it, it will make me practice my German :)

Regards,

• Wow that interface looks really impressive! Could you post more details of what's involved, for those of us who can't read German?

• Im more back to the basics myself :oops:
    Have bought this wheel on the bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors…rksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

As you can see, he claimed it is just plug and play for all 8's :) I have on the other hand come to realise that it will need some mods :? Not the end of the world though, as the wheel comes with the new slip ring :)

The replacement seem pretty easy according to this site(based on the e36): http://home.earthlink.net/~fra…iy/E36_steeringwheel.html

I have on the other hand never come across anyone mentioning the replacement of the "steering column switch bracket" when it comes to fitting this on the e31. Is this then something that is not needed here or might I as well go ahead and order one straight away?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!