Advice sought (2) - Exhaust pipes.

• OK, I've seen a few neat tail pipes now. But what should be fitted to my 840Ci Sport that will a) look good, but b) won't make it look too flashy? I am not planning any major external changes as my intention is to make the car look as good as it was when it left the showroom. Over to you...
    SG

• What standard?

Earl, are you saying that there are "standard" parts missing, then?

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

Do every act of your life as if it were your last.

• John, your 840 should be fitted with black tail pipes from standard and I did notice on Sunday you don't seem to have any at all.
    I would buy them from BMW as they are a very good fit, like earl said they are available in black or chrome

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Cheers Wayne

That dealer is looking dodgier by the day - I'm sure when I first saw the car it had some chrome ones. I'd originally thought black myself, but I just checked it out with the dealer. Seems they were NOT standard parts (!) and had to be added to the factory build order by 1997. Anyway, I've just changed my mind and ordered four chrome ones for Tuesday - just call me fickle.
    SG

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

Do every act of your life as if it were your last.

• I myself have quadrangular ones, in adoniased (or whatchamightcallit) black, and I personally think they look better than the cicular ones.. But then again I guess most of us think that what we ourselves have got is in favour :P

• I have the standard exhaust tips and spent 30 mins using a very fine wet and dry paper on them to reveal the metal beneath. Then Solvol Autosol thingy and lo and behold , mmmm shiny!

• Zitat von sandwich

I have the standard exhaust tips and spent 30 mins using a very fine wet and dry paper on them to reveal the metal beneath. Then Solvol Autosol thingy and lo and behold , mmmm shiny!

Or just go and buy some new chrome ones from BMW :D

Wayne.

• i just purchased 4 chrome tips last week from the dealership and they arrive tomorrow. do they need any special fasteners or do they just fit snug and secure themselves w/o anything else needed?

My 1995 BMW 840Ci
    Authentic M Parallels, Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S, ACS-style aluminum pedals and more to come...

• Zitat von cel0202

i just purchased 4 chrome tips last week from the dealership and they arrive tomorrow. do they need any special fasteners or do they just fit snug and secure themselves w/o anything else needed?

They are a perfect fit :D

Wayne.

• Now, just slightly off topic but does the 840 have round exhaust ends and the 850 square ones??
    My 850 has black square ones.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von wayneblackwell1000

In a word, yes

Hmm, thanks Wayne. Started to supect this after I noticed all the 840 in this post had round tips.

Then one learned another way to tell an 840 from an 850 today. :D

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von wayneblackwell1000

They are a perfect fit :D

So I just tried placing them and wow, are they ever a tight fit. I didn't think it would be that snug.

It appears I need to use some kind of soft mallet and a towel to protect the chrome and hammer it in? Or is there a smarter way to do this? I am afraid that I will somehow misalign my entire exhaust system by trying to get these tips fitted.

Any suggestions about doing this the right way?

Thanks!

My 1995 BMW 840Ci
    Authentic M Parallels, Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S, ACS-style aluminum pedals and more to come...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!