If you could redesign the E31 what would you do?

• Hi all

I was cleaning the car over the weekend and realised that certain features that were incorporated in the E31, most likely when the car was first conceived in the mid 80's, might now be redesigned or improved upon with the advent of new technologies or products.
    Niggles, although few and far between, in my case centre on the following

Plastic mouldings on seat / headrests are painted grey with black plastic underneath. Black plastic now showing through.

No arm rest as standard.

Heated windscreen wouldve been nice! Most likely not available in the 80's but could've been introduced in the late 90's.

Mats are crap!

Theres 4 pretty minor ones....Lets put a list together and see what others come out of the woodwork

Crikey....Its boring at work today. Surely someone still wants flat screen tellies and BOSE products!

• Love that concept car!

I don't like the rear bumper (I have a '98 840 Ci Sport). The lower part seems like an afterthought and just "stuck on". Later this year I am thinking about the Zeemax rear bumper which I think is a lot better - I am happy with my car's front bumper and side skirts though and don't like the Zeemax versions.

Also front PDC would be good with the long nose. I have the rear PDC although because the sensors were designed over 10 years ago they are quite large. When I get some time for some research I was thinking of buying a front and rear PDC kit for something like the current 1 or 3 series and fitting it. I am thinking of these models because unless you have Sat Nav then you don't get the iDrive and screen and so the kit would be designed to be audible only (possibly). The modern sensors that fit flush would not change the look of the car.

• Re-designing the 8.
    Lets start with the obvious. Shed 500kg.
    -Up the engine to 500hp.
    -tinted lamps. (like on the new BMW's)
    -the steeringwheel !!! (to modern multi function one)
    -a bit rougher exhaust
    -I-drive instead of the current system.
    -heated windsheild.
    -chairs like the E60 M5 with active side support
    -bigger brakes.
    -a M function that acts like the M5, extr hp, sharper steering and suspension.
    -center armrest and the plastic bits (as mentioned)

This would just be getting it up to todays standard, the exterior would not be changed.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Storage space! Somewhere to put things like wallet, sunglasses, CD's etc. There's virtually nowhere to store anything inside the car, the glove box is small and if you put the handbook in it then there's almost no room for anything else.
    Modern style infotainment system would be nice. And a few more horses wouldn't go amiss.

Cheers,
    Jason

• I think the car should have had

1. Folding rear seats and full load through system, not just ski hatch.
    2. Clear indicators with jewel or led lamps
    3. illuminated exterior handles when unlocking car by remote
    4. Under door lighting to illuminate kerb at night
    5. Sat nav and screen as an option
    6. Sunroof delete for tallest owners and to save weight
    7. No smoking pack

But most of all

8. A stripped out CSL version, bucket 2 seater, no power windows/mirrors/seats, single battery, no sunroof, no sound insulation, stereo delete, alloy suspension components and CSi motor to 6.0l/425 bhp?

Would not want

1. i-Drive
    2. Armrests in front
    3. Cup holders

As for that concept

1. No shape to those front corners
    2 Headlamp/bonnet line looks like a Rude Boy Saxo
    3. Wheels are possibly the worst I have ever seen
    4. Plastic venetian blind on rear screen looks like a Halfords Nova accessory
    5. Rear deck to wing gap excessive.

Generally though, not bad, just needs a little work.

• I agree with a lot of the suggested improvements.

I would have especially like the 8 to have had:

(1) Proper radio remote key (not that useless IR thing) with remote boot release
    (2) through loading as suggested by 8tech
    (3) heated front windcreen + rear screen that doesnt fog and de-laminate
    (4) Steptronic on the V12 + diagonostics that dont go failsafe at the slightest flutter.
    (5) multifunction steering wheel
    (6) ibus type BMW factory satnav (...watch this space guys, just finalising my design... :D ...)
    (7) more rear leg room
    (8 ) better braking system and more bhp
    (9) bodycolour and better design of the outside door handles
    (10) improve the front end design of the bumper -more rounded (too many times mine has had the nose damaged by careless parkers)

oh, almost forgot - an OBC that doesnt suffer pixel failure

• He he - that's one advantage of living in Europe - I have a '97 V12 with Steptronic - it was never available in the UK on the V12's.

RE MFL - watch this space, my next project :)

• Hi,

Cruise control to begin with, radio etc later on. I have ordered the Sports wheel with MF for the E46 (3 series) which is more or less a straight fit (needs a bit of modification for the wiring to pass through).

I was also thinking of flappy-paddles for the manual shift on the steptronic but since I almost never use the manual function that would be a waste of time really.

Cheers,
    Jason

• Argonaut.

You keep me updatet on the e46 steeringwheel mod, I've wanted one for quite some time now.
    Was not sure about the Airbag though since I have a 90 model 1. gen airbag.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Hi Noggie,

no problem, I will happily keep you updated. There's a lot of information available on how to do this but it's in German - do you speak German? If so I can point you in the right direction. The 8 has a single stage airbag. In the late '90's, BMW introduced 2 stage airbags across most of their range of cars but not the 8. You have to be careful with finding replacement steering wheels for two reasons: you can only use single stage airbags and you have to find a steering with a compatible slip ring. I'm not an expert on this topic but I have been doing some reading up. I know that E46 wheels are more or less a direct fit, steering wheels from other cars around the same era as the 8 are also donor options. Let me know what you want and I'll see if I can help.

Cheers,
    Jason

• nice wheel, though I do prefer my curves, over anorexic (clinging on to life) skinnier models :lol: Throw that girl a chip butty.... !

Many, many thanks Re the Sith Lord's weapon of choice. My son will be so happy, whilst beating me over the head with it ! He has 'discovered' Lego Star Wars on my PSP of late, and I think playing the real thing might be enough to drag him away from that !

• Sith's Weapon (ahem) is actually quite fun - I was playing with it last night (just to test it of course), it's double ended and with a flick of the wrist both ends fly out so that the whole thing is almost 2 metres long. It takes 3 AA batteries and there's a button which when pressed makes interesting Star Wars fight sounds, lights flash and the whole thing vibrates.

I just wonder what other people reading this might think we're talking about :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!