Annoying interior rattle

• I suffer from 'in cabin OCD' and will go well out of my way in eliminating any noises emanating from interior trim but I'm having real troubles locating the latest 'clink' which sounds as if it's coming from the rear.

I'm wondering if this is a common noise as it has been reported by another fellow 8 owner and he too has no idea where it's coming from. The 'clink/rattle' seems to be apparent when driving over imperfect roads and it's coming from the parcel shelf area. At first I thought it was the rear seat not fully clicked back into place but both are firmly clicked into position.

Has anyone else encountered this, if so what is it???

• Zitat von hallworth1

Not so much a "clink/rattle" more of a rattle/clink on mine, turned out to be the bracket that holds the amp in place.worth a look.

Haven't checked that! On the case :D

• Yea I've got it on mine sounds just like a squeak/ rattle will look at the amp bracket, but definately coming from the parcel shelf area!!!!

1991 850ci,
    2001 540
    2002 4.6 Range Rover Vogue

• Fasten the seat belts in the rear and see if it changes.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Zitat von Steve5;49116

Yea I've got it on mine sounds just like a squeak/ rattle will look at the amp bracket, but definately coming from the parcel shelf area!!!!

That sounds familiar. I've checked out the amp bracket, all fine. Tried the seatbelt trick, no change. As said it's definitely coming from the parcel shelf area possibly biased to the the passenger side (LH).

@ Steve5 - Do you have the electric rear blind on yours?

• Take a rear seat passenger with you to find out :grin2:

I was crouching in the back of my car a short while ago pressing bits and pieces too.

The parcel shelf is fastened at the front with about 5 plastic thingies like this:

They become brittle and may break which in turn might lead to leverage and noises.

In case your passenger cannot find the source it may well be a noise transported from the trunk area where, apart from the amp bracket mentioned above the car jack might be a culprit.

Also read here and there

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Did the amp braket no change :banghead: But will look at the parcell shelf and jack this weekend to see if it solves the problem :dance:

1991 850ci,
    2001 540

• I had a rattle when I first got mine, turned out to be the sunroof drain hose (hard pipe) which runs down the c pillar and down into the forward part of the rear wheel arch. Its a hard pipe so it made a rattle noise but it was really hard to pin down as the noise seemed to come from everywhere at the same time.

If you pull the c pillar be real careful as the tabs can break very easily.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• WPO750 - Yes I have the blind in mine and I will check that too it comes up and goes back ok :winkwink: Wayne do you have the blind in yours too?

1991 850ci,
    2001 540

• I had a squeeky rattle noice on mine when going on bumpy roads an over speedbumps.

In my case it turned out to be the rear tower mounts that was failing.
    the noice was caused by the shock that had come loose in the front end and was hitting against the underside of the tower. causing a rattle, the squeaks was when the damper was not moving enough to make a rattle.

Found this when i jacked up my car and noticed that the shock and the top mount was comming into the wheelwell

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• I know mine is not that as I've just had all the rear and front suspension checked with all the bushes changed :top: so it's got to be in the boot or rear parcel shelf area.

1991 850ci,
    2001 540

• Could it be bushing in rear shock tower?

Just a thought,

I had a quite loud squeek from what sounded like the parcel shelf. This turned out to be worn bushings in the rear shock tower.

If that problem is left unrepaired, the shock absorber could end up going through the side of the car, ruining it completely.

Perhaps and probably not the problem you have, but check it out to be sure.

And yes, be careful with the covering column on the c-pilar.

My tabs are broken and I can't find a replacement (light grey) anywhere. Any ideas?

• OK, my ‘rattly clink’ has been resolved and I have to admit that plugging in both rear seat belts did the trick. TerryY was on the ball! The rear belt unit seems to be very sensitive and with even the slightest tug on the belt causes the mechanism to ‘clink’ and I can only assume that it’s the looseness of the unit that makes itself apparent especially on uneven road.

The problem is I don't like the way it looks so I will be striping down the belt assembly at some point to see if I can tighten things up a tad.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!