Cleaning up the engine bay

• My 840 is is only used a few times a month however, the engine bay looks a bit sad, with various bolts/nuts rusting, alloy bits discoloured and general grime and dirt everywhere else.

Having been to a few car shows and seen the exhibits so clean that you eat your dinner off the engine block, I was wondering if anyone has some good tips of products for getting it all cleaned up nicely.

;) Make the most and enjoy it all while you can..

Rob

1998 840Ci Red
    2001 740iL Gold
    Manchester, UK

• Zitat von rob840;49967

My 840 is is only used a few times a month however, the engine bay looks a bit sad, with various bolts/nuts rusting, alloy bits discoloured and general grime and dirt everywhere else.

Having been to a few car shows and seen the exhibits so clean that you eat your dinner off the engine block, I was wondering if anyone has some good tips of products for getting it all cleaned up nicely.

Water, Shampoo that's all.
    Then outside waxing with Swizöl (our Clubmember rubbercowboy sell a very good alternative to swizöl for a very low price) :grin2:

Under the car washing with a high pressure cleaner and then I use a transparent or black wax (no special product).

Don't forget some helping hands :laugh: (Friends) and a lot of time ... :winkwink:

Lock here:

CSi 10/1996 (last production month), 45'000km

I cleaned the Bridge with a special chemical product (remove the yellow wax and new painting because the chemical cocktail was very strong) :grin2:
    Sorry, but you can't buy the chemical product on the public market. :dontknow:

The result is:

And from time to time, we clean the whole car. :itsme:

On the right side, that's me. :grin2:

• Martin: Wow ! - that's what I'm talking about.. it almost looks like a new car.

Has it been resprayed ?
    I ask because of the vibrant colour showing in the wheel arches, mine is all dark and dirty behind the wheels.

Well, we have plenty of water here in Manchester, all I need now is some shampoo and a set of marigolds !

Rob

1998 840Ci Red
    2001 740iL Gold
    Manchester, UK

• I find the most effective way to get the engine bay looking good is a spray of Gunk with a soft brush, then a light jet wash, and finally, whilst everything is still wet, spray everything with Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care. Shut the bonnet and you're done.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Hey Martin - What steering wheel is that ? Do all the controls work ?

It's just what I'm looking for, I've grown used to the M/F wheel on my 740iL which is used almost daily and miss it when I'm in the 840.

Rob

1998 840Ci Red
    2001 740iL Gold
    Manchester, UK

• Martin,
    amazing condition!
    It's making me feel a little depressed though, I have to admit.
    I thought mine was clean till I saw your pictures!

I too am considering detailing the engine bay, a couple of questions:

How do you keep water out of electrical components?
    I'm not confident spraying water in there!

Also, what is the gold coloured lacquer over the engine?
    It's not just my car, I've seen it on a lot of V12s.

• I remember seeing a Scandinavia 8 in similar condition (silver IIRC). I am stunned at the level of dedication to cleaning shown here. I suppose it is great, but then if it were mine I'd be too afraid to drive it in UK..... perhaps only a couple of sunny weekends in the summer, and never in the winter due to salt on roads.

Sorry, your car is great to look at, but I need a car I can just get in and drive. You only live once as they say..... :cool:

• Absolutely stunning! The hours that have gone into that degree of preperation must be significant! Would love to have a workshop like that - looks just like a BMW dealership workshop - you don't happen to work there do you?

With the weather in the UK, the salt they pour on the roads in winter and the loose stones they "chuck" into wet tar as a means of road repair, the underside damage is hard to prevent unless you never drive the car.

Angus.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Your car is stunning Martin, there must be many hours of cleaning work to get it looking that good. One thing I did notice -- why no sports seats?

Zitat von Martin;50085

Of course, full functionality. :harhar:
    It''s a steering wheel from the E46 with mechanical modifications.
    For the cruise control, I develop a new plug and play electronic interface. :grin2:

I noticed on the old website before the merging of the English section from ClubE31, you used to sell various modifications for the E31, not sure if the steering wheel interface box was ever on there. However I could never really understand much of it being that it was written in German. Do you still sell these items, and if so could you possibly include an English description of each of them? Thanks :cool:

• Zitat von Martin;50085

Of course, full functionality. :harhar:
    It''s a steering wheel from the E46 with mechanical modifications.
    For the cruise control, I develop a new plug and play electronic interface. :grin2:

I would like a M/F wheel on my 840Ci, do you have any instructions for the mechanical modifications necessary?
    Does it have to be E46, would one like this from my E38 740iL fit?

Rob

1998 840Ci Red
    2001 740iL Gold
    Manchester, UK

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!