BMW Cancels New 8 Series Platform - Concept CS

• Because of ongoing market conditions, BMW AG announced today it is cancelling its new 8 Series, citing the following reason:

"The German automaker cites a distinct lack of profitability as the main reason the CS project has been canceled."

Also announced is the V10 engine in the M5/M6 will be discontinued and replaced with the Twin Turbo V8. In addition, BMW and Mercedes are discussing plans to jointly work on an upgraded N73 V12, presently only in use in the Rolls Royce vehicles. The 760i/Li was recently cancelled.

Tough times at BMW AG.

• Zitat von Seb;55649

Not doubting you Jud, but I'm sceptical on the twin-turbo V8 front for M cars. They've always denied they'd ever resort to forced induction. Where did you hear/read that?

No offense taken. As a reporter, you must validate such news.

I got my news from several different sources over the last two weeks.

The November 2008 issue of Roundel Magazine, the BMW Car Club of America's monthly publication, also re-confirmed the V10's demise. See below.

• Zitat von fuzzifikation;55645

Mercedes working on an engine.. shiiiit! Nothing good ever came out of that, the last decade!

Given the choice, I always prefer the BMW V12's.

More about this colloboration on the V12: Because the opportunities for mass market V12 engined cars are expected to decline over the next decade, there are still buyers out there that want a V12. BMW AG's internal projections show that continuing to produce the existing N73 engine (except for Rolls Royce) to a shrinking market was not a good capital investment. This is especially in light of tightening CO2 emissions and fuel economy standards. Mercedes came to the same conclusion. It is thought that if they can pool their engineering resources in jointly developing the next V12, then it could be profitable to offer a V12-engined car in smaller quanitities.

Of course, like other contemplated Mercedes-BMW ventures, this could blow up and not happen.

• no new 8-series is actually good news... that makes the series a one off series.... which is good.

I don't understand why they cancell the top of the line models, they are not the one that are hurting.
    I mean, if you could buy an M5 6 monts ago, you shuld still be able to buy one today, regardless of the marked situation.

If I was BMW I'd be more concerned with the sale of the 330 and 335, or the big engine 5-series. not to mention the X5 and X6 segment.

People that buy a 760 or an M3/M5/M6 are so well funded that they can ride off the current situation without a change in their standard of living... menaing they can still buy these cars.

For the average guy, who planned to buy a 335i 6 months ago, he might have to settle for a 325i now, but the guy who planned to get an M3, should still be able to get his M3.

Even if everything went to s*it.... there will still be people that have money.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von bradc;55704

It does make me sad, but I agree with the sentiment that it will make our E31's, especially the V12 powered ones even more special in 10 or 20 years time.

Spoken like an owner of a V12
    :devilchilli::devilchilli::devilchilli::devilchilli::devilchilli::devilchilli:
    :devilchilli::devilchilli::devilchilli::devilchilli:
    :devilchilli::devilchilli::devilchilli::devilchilli:
    :devilchilli::devilchilli::devilchilli::devilchilli::devilchilli:

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• The e31 of course will always become rarer, since they have stopped making them :laugh:

That said, they are not destined to become valuable classics in anything but the absolute longest of long terms. A quick look on Autotrader UK will show only 2, yes TWO, examples over £10K.

Not that it bothers me, but it puts paid to the notion, often put in the classified adverts, that these cars are appreciating assets. Given the costs of maintaining them, you are quickly into negative equity (arrrgh, that phrase again) after two or three years ownership.

I also looked at Merc CL500s since I have always had a soft spot for those (in black of course). As TG said at the weekend, you really can find 2004 fully loaded examples for £16 - 17K..... Now that is depreciation on a catrastrophic scale !! I am tempted.............. :?

• I personally think the only model to buy for an investment is of course the B12 Alpina - but then if I've got one of them sitting in the garage first sight of dry weather and I would be out enjoying it. :driving2:
    IMHO cars are to be driven and enjoyed and not sat in a dehumidified carpeted garage and dribbled over

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• I also looked at CL500's instead of an 8, especially the ones that are fully loaded, the interior I think is nicer than an 8, but it just does not have the same road presence/head turning looks hence stuck with the 8.

• To be honest I am not in this to make any money from my car, it may in several years on have a value, but I bought it because as a piece of motoring history and design innovation the E31 is up there with the best of them. 8)

Oh and I also enjoy driving it too, don't mind the cost - and she was in a very poor condition when I bought her, but we have nearly completed the journey which I continue to enjoy - must be 'coz I'm an engineer :top:

1991 850ci,
    2001 540
    2002 4.6 Range Rover Vogue

• Zitat von TallTony;55714

I also looked at Merc CL500s since I have always had a soft spot for those (in black of course). As TG said at the weekend, you really can find 2004 fully loaded examples for £16 - 17K..... Now that is depreciation on a catrastrophic scale !! I am tempted.............. :?

I have admit to being a bit of a fast Merc fan and would quite like a CL - Tony, if you think a CL500 for £16k is good value, you're not looking hard enough! How about a CL600 Bi-turbo (500bhp, 590lb ft) for £16k?! If I had the money I'd be all over that http://search.autotrader.co.uk…_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

Zitat von Deep;55757

I also looked at CL500's instead of an 8, especially the ones that are fully loaded, the interior I think is nicer than an 8, but it just does not have the same road presence/head turning looks hence stuck with the 8.

Agree on the road presence front, 8 Series still looks so fantastic and unique.

• I recently heard through a friend that there are several people at my office than have a very strong feelings about my 8.... I believe it called envie.
    My friend told me that my 8 has been frequently discussed at the office, and that people have so strong feelings about it that they actually hold it against me.

My friend at one point looked at them and asked what they where complaining about?
    They all drive around in newer cars that is worth more than my 18 year old 850, what was their problem??
    Funny how a car can get peoples emotions going.

But me getting the M3 aparently didn't make thing better.... Fortunately I'm just in the office a few days out of the year.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• It makes me sad when I read things like that, people piss me off :angry:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!