Classic Car insurance - which company

• Dont know if its because I'm young (ish) but I am having trouble finding a company which will do agreed value classic car insurance on my 850.

91 850's book what 6K on the autotrader if in good condition.

I've spent at least 3 grand this year, probably 10 grand in total on this car so I want to get an agreed value of approx 10K. Things like full respray, suspension replacement, glass replacement then all the little things like manifold gaskets, dk motors, injectors, HT system - it all adds up.

If someone crashes into my car - even if I get a fair payout - I'll be well out of pocket.

Adrian flux who I used to find ok could offer neither and standard comp insurance was £2,200. Load of crap. I can get a Ferrari F355 insured for £190 more.

Who is everyone using? Do you have agreed values?

Lets burn rubber!

91 BMW 850 (Heavily Modified)
    86 Ford F150 monster truck (44 inch tyres)

• Classic car Insurance is just that, for a car to be used very little say 3000 miles a year, in this case one would have the use of a 2nd or 3rd car so maybe if you can prove to the insurures that it is not your sole car you may have better luck.

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Looks like I might have to get my monster truck back on the road then.

What do you pay on the SC 850?

Lets burn rubber!

• how young is young ? I was 31 when I got my 8, but also had 5 years NCB.

Tesco charge me approx £550 Fully Comp with no mileage restriction on a 97 840 (going up this year as I made a claim for my front end, but still on 3 years NCB from next March).

I think postcode comes into it as well though. I'm lucky in that respect to not live close to a car crime blackspot..... although I did get my chrome tyre valve tips nicked whilst playing football last week !!

• Im 27. Bought the car when I was 24 though and insurance was only 1800 then!

live in gunchester which probably does not help.

I have at least one, perhaps 2 years NCB. Slight tap to my rear end few years ago. oops!

Lets burn rubber!

• Zitat von nathan8

Looks like I might have to get my monster truck back on the road then.

What do you pay on the SC 850?

Nath I'm 51 :shock: So no problems with Insurance :D:lol: But i have a Motor traders policy which covers me to drive any car fully comprehensive for £580 per yr :D

• I too use Footman & James; agreed value, second car, limited mileage at the moment; 3000 miles, though I expect I'll have to extend that at some point, which of course will mean more £'s.

I am 37, no NCB (I always drive classic cars). Premium was £ 580.00

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• If you can keep your mileage down and don't qualify for classic insurance (for any reason) try Norwich Union with their new GPS Tracker-based "Pay as you Drive" insurance.
    I've got it myself and is on track for costing £500 per year for 3000 mls per year for an 850CSi.
    Ok I'm 54 but have no NCD and have been honest and told them that it's not even garaged - public/residents car park.

• I'd agree with Martin, the "Pay as you drive" system is probably going to become the way of the future, Allianz in Germany pioneered this together with IBM and it's a success. For my 850 Ci here in Switzerland the insurance is a pretty crap deal. It's a 1997 car, I paid CHF 15,000 to buy it plus around another CHF 3,000 to get it legally on the road (don't get me started, change the exhausts please Sir etc etc) and I reckon it's worth about GBP 10,000 - based on what prices I've seen recently on Pistonhead, Autotrader etc. Anyway here I can't get agreed value insurance, I can't even get fully comp because the car is 10 years old. Too old for fully comp, not old enough for classic/oldtimer insurance. The insurance industry here has a long way to go, I thought the insurance industry in Germany was crap compared with the UK, Switzerland is still in the stone ages. I work in the flipping industry (insuring moving objects a little larger than cars, supertankers and container ships are more my thing) and I know plenty people in the business, still couldn't find a better deal than this:
    3rd Party Fire and Theft plus glass cover CHF 1,950 = GBP 803 - crap isn't it? And that's with full NCB too!
    I'm going to emigrate somewhere else I think, somewhere they're not so anal about speed limits too. That's a good topic for a new Fred - what's the highest density of speed camers you've found and another emigration destinations, maybe I'll start those two :)

• Sympathy with you Jason,as you know i have also lived in Germany & I thought their Insurance was a rip off :shock:

The best place i have found to live in Europe [at the moment] is Northern portugal, No speed Cameras, Cheaper than the UK petrol, beautyful sceanery ONly draw back ,not many good roads,still can't have it all ways :)

• OK - who tells them about the various exhaust / engine / supsension / lighting mods that have been done?

Nath

Lets burn rubber!

• Endorsing PAYD Insurance

The cheapest annual quote I had was from Norton at just under £400 but that was limited to 5,000 miles. I heard a radio advert for NU PAYD and went for it on my 1997 840Ci and also my trusty old E34 525iSE. The RAC came to fit both cars on the same day about a week later. My fixed monthly premiums are £11.25 for the 8 and £6.35 for the 5, with average mileage rates working out at 3p/mile and 1p/mile respectively. So, for the 8, that's giving me about 9,000 miles per annum for the same price as Norton, or, another way of looking at it: a premium of £285 for 5,000 miles. On the 5, I've halved my annual insurance cost at a stroke. The best bit is that I just drive as much as I want, and pay for it monthly as I go. Oh, not to forget the TrafficMaster GPS at just 89p per journey, plus the confidence of having a direct mobile link to the control centre if it ever breaks down. Also, a fair chance of locating the car quickly if were to be stolen, though this is not sold as a full tracker service. I think its superb value for money.

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

Do every act of your life as if it were your last.

• Can they track your "Rate of progress?"

IE if you break the speed limit?

N

Lets burn rubber!

• Incredible insurance quote

OK...So I'm 49 , live in a reasonable fairly low crime area but have just had a quote from confused.com website. Was given with max 5000 miles a year and value of £10000 [ optimistic!] cover at £264.00
    Best last year was £400.00
    Strange

• Norwich union quote for myself

Not as impressive as what others have received

---------------------------------------------------

Estimated total of 11 monthly premiums £1,689.01
    (includes advance payment and installation fee)
    Monthly estimated premium £121.74

(excluding advance payment)
    Advance payment £349.86

(includes installation fee)

View a full breakdown of how we have arrived at this estimate. Remember that the premium you pay will depend on the usage of your car so the figure you pay each month could go down as well as up. "Pay As You Drive"™ insurance is only available on a Direct Debit basis.

Lets burn rubber!

• that is with a 10k value and 6000 miles PA (out of peak time) on a comprehensive basis

I might garage this mofo for the winter... I've got my moster truck working now so I can swap for the seasons

N

Lets burn rubber!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!