Rear spoiler opinions

• Hello all!

I am contemplating which type of rear spoiler I would like to attach to my black 97' 840ci (I should really get some pictures up). Any suggestions, opinions, or pictures would be greatly appreciated. I've attached some related pics below.

I don't like the over the top ferrari F40 style spoiler, but the smaller M3? style spoiler definitely appeals to me. I'm also leaning towards the small lip style spoiler to be conservative, but I'm not sure if the look will even be noticeable.

Part of the decision is that I've already bought a front spoiler (rieger style) that borders on ricey, while this is not my intention, I think the front spoiler just looks mean. I don't want the rear/front spoiler combination to be too much of an overstatement for an 8, but I'm not sure if the lip style is enough. Again, any opinions would be great, maybe we could fill this post with some nice spoiler pics. 8):D

• HAHA! I've never heard that concept put so eloquently. Thank you for your opinion. For this reason, I was considering the small boot lip spoiler, but as you can see from my front spoiler, it might be too late to get away with subtelty.

I was a bit nervous to share my front spoiler purchase with the forum. I know it isn't quite traditional..... It just has such a supercar look to it I couldn't resist. I fully understand those who like to keep things OEM, but it can be very fun to drive around in a car with personality.

For the record, Im not a ricer, I don't want this car to fly.... but I would like to accent its sporty "supercar-like" design.

• Re: Rear spoiler

Zitat von sandwich

Great believer that on an 8 series that the word spoiler means what it says! Dont do it!

I agree, our 1998 840 ci Sport came with a Schnitzer rear spoiler on the csi body kit and I think it : -
    a. Spoils the lines of the car that are very smooth. and -
    b. Add a Japanese look like any number off Mazda MX6's etc

The "Before" shots are on the following link, we are much happier with the look now it has gone.

http://www.clube31.net/forum/v…ghlight=schnitzer+spoiler

It is easier to get foregivness than permission!

• Re: Rear spoiler

Zitat von sandwich

Great believer that on an 8 series that the word spoiler means what it says! Dont do it!

Me too. Mine is staying unspoiled ;)

IMO it looks perfect with the CSi kit.

• Well when it comes to spoilers Steves's your man as he has fitted at least a couple to his 8. As for me having purchased and painted a OEM spoiler I have to agree with the other guys its staying in the shed as it just didn't look right IMHO

[/url]

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• If you are serious about a rear spoiler you need to see one actually fitted to a car - pictures are not a substitute.
    This is one of those issues (like manual vs auto) where you will have opinions that are embedded into members' very souls!

Here's an extract from my website telling how I was seduced to turn to the dark side......

I have also bought an original M-sport rear spoiler from BMW.
    This is on the BMW E31 parts CD and is designed specifically for this car.
    This was a definite change of mind. Originally I didn't think the spoiler would suit the car, less is more and all that.

However, I was given the chance to borrow one, which I could rest on the boot to see how it looked.

I wasn't expecting to like it, in all photos I'd seen the spoiler looked awkward - like an add-on.

Putting it on the car it looked better than I thought, but I had no urge to buy one.
    But, when I took it off the boot, the rear of the car looked too low and somehow wrong.
    I tried it on and off repeatedly and checked it out from all different angles.
    How annoying - in the flesh the spoiler worked, it looked better with it on - I took some photos, better off.

Given that real life counts more than a photo I decided to buy one from BMW who, for once, gave me a good discount.

The spoiler looked good, but somehow not quite right. I checked other 8's with spoilers and they looked the same. The spoilers always looked as if they were sagging slightly, yet a long straight edge showed the span of the spoilers was straight, that is, completely uncurved. This was the problem. The boot lid has a slight raised curve as it should. The two didn't look quite right together, also, there was far more flex than I'd like.

My solution was to add two small supports. Getting these to look and work just right was quite a task and drilling the boot lid is not for the timid, but they push the spoiler into a very slight curve so that it looks, well, right. The supports also make it ten times more rigid at speed and much more resistant to careless handling or leaning!

So, there you have it. I used to think I had good taste, but somewhere along the way I was clearly corrupted by the Teenager's Guide to Car Styling. :wink:

• Schnitz.

Sorry to go off topic here but since the picture is here I'll do it anyway.

Now that I got the tinted front lamps from you I was thinking about doing the rear ones.
    How did you tint you're rear lamps? They where tinted the way I'd like to have mine done.

I liked the wing in Schnitz car, like he said, it goes with thedefuser bits.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Schnitz / Alex having seen you car in the flesh I think your spoiler works with the AC kit 8)
    For me and my 8 I am going for the CSI kit however I still have the spoiler I bought so never say never :wink:

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Thank you for all of the responses... you guys are indeed purists. I agree with the rationale that this car and its beautiful form are to be respected, and sometimes I think deep down that you're right about the "spoiling" effect.

I hate to think that by tinkering with the look, I will somehow "cheapen" it, or lose respect from fellow 8ers.... There is just one problem.... I really like the way spoilers look! front and rear! :?:shock::lol: what's a guy to do?

UKzero - thank you for the response, I've read the spoiler narrative on your home page in the past and it was actually part of my inspiration to add a rear spoiler. :) I agreed that your car just looked better with the rear spoiler. Your 8 is gorgeous, I really like the interior colors.

The "teenager school of styling comment" got to me a little... had me considering if I'll regret the front spoiler in the future... as I am currently 23 years old and recognize that I likely have more immature tastes in some regards. I will certainly keep the stock spoiler just in case, but without the CSi front (which is beautiful), I think the front look is a little dated (1980s?) which is why I wanted a front spoiler in the first place.

I do respect the opinions on the "purist" side, Maybe us spoiler people are just sinners deep down....... :twisted:8):twisted:

• Batman, I'd say that you asking the wrong question in the wrong place mate :D

This forum is largely centered around 'keeping it stock' and 'keeping it running' so any deviation from the party line is met with sprayed coffee all over the PC screen !

Personally I don't mind the BMW rear spoiler, I think the lip spoiler is just 'stick on tat', and the front spoiler is reminiscent of a snow plough. These are just my opinions. I'm sure you would rather have honest ones over plain lies.

However, if you were to put that Reiger spoiler on your car, and from what you have posted it seems you are going to do it, it is only a matter of time before your car is photographed and posted here....

http://www.barryboys.co.uk/mx/index.php

People in clube31 will be nice and polite to you, but people in there will not let it lie, not ever, even for a second ..... :lol::lol:

Good luck fella !

• Thanks for the response TallTony, I have already learned many things from your posts and I was excited to see your reply. At least we can all agree that the "keeping it running" part of the forum is near and dear to all of us!

I do indeed appreciate the honest opinions; I hoped that is what I would get from this forum. I'm also glad to see that everyone is being polite even if deep down they want to choke me for considering the "snow plow" addition.....

I've already purchased the front spoiler, but if I would be classified with the likes of the cars on Barryboys, I really don't know if I could handle the shame of attachment. It is a real predicament, I genuinely like the way the car looks with the spoiler, but I don't want to be the only person in the world who thinks so, while everyone else snickers... especially 8 owners.

I feel like the types of cars on barryboys have no purpose for a front/rear spoiler or a sporty look in general. These are civics, eclipses, scions, etc which, per original design, were not intended to turn heads. Look at our 8 series! It is supposed to make a statement!

Do you guys feel the same about spoilers in general? on ferraris? lambos? Is our car not exotic/fast enough? I'm not trying to be argumentative or push any buttons, I really respect the opinions of this club's members.

• After re-reading my post I realized that my question at the end is kind of biased, as the examples I used are ferrari and lamborghini.... which do have a different design purpose/market than the 8.

It is difficult for me to compare the 8 to "equivalent" mercedes and porsches offerings, as the 8 is just so rare! I live in Northern Virginia (U.S.) and I have not seen an 8 other than my own in at least 5 years!! no joke! Perhaps this is why i compare it to ferrari/lambo. So rare, so beautiful, so exotic, I find it hard to compare to the SL500 and such (which I see at least once a week in NoVa).

• My personal opinion on spoilers on our 8's is no, but that's just my own opinion, at the end of the day its your own car do what you want to it (within reason) :lol: so its down to you.
    Other cars really suit spoilers but it just depends on the make / model.

Just my 2 pence (or cent's in your case) worth :D

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Glad you liked some of my earlier posts. I try to be descriptive in my experiences and note it down in here for others to read. It's all relevent to me, and hopefully to other people from time to time 8)

About your spoiler. If you like it that badly then put it on and stuff anyone else's opinion ! It is your car after all, and it is just a CAR at the end of the day :D

But since you did mention it....

apart from the Countach, I'm struggling to think of any recent Lambos with a big rear spoiler. I can't think of any modern Ferrari that has one, Astons dont, even the original Koiniggggzzegggegzzeg didn't have one until Top Gear crashed it.

These are all superb looking cars and the designers didnt see the need to stick a whale fin on the back of them. They also have front spoilers in keeping with the lines of the complete car. This is my only concern regarding your Reiger on. I just dont think it 'fits' with the original flowing lines and looks too 'aftermarket' for me to like.

I love modding my eight, but I try to make it look like it (could) have been done at source, rather than from visiting a shop like Halfords.

CSI kit for me every time :wink::lol:

• Just a funny thought....

Having brought up what is apparently a distasteful spoiler issue, I can't help but feel like the American that was invited over for afternoon tea and put his dirty cowboy boots on the table.....

Just a thought, maybe spoilers don't fit the sophisticated, classy culture of the UK as well as our loud, obnoxious American life style? and by the way..... we are damned proud to be loud and obnoxious! Any thoughts?

Cheers mates!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!