Need some reassurance

• Hi all,

Well I was browsing 8coupe.com, specifically History > Collectability and noticed that a 95 840Ci doesn't fall in the top 8:

Worldwide Collectibility - The Top 8

1. Alpina B12 M70 5.0/S70 5.7
    2. Euro S70 850CSi's
    3. North America-spec S70 850CSi's
    4. 1998-99 M73 850CiA Platinum Editions (Middle East)
    5. 1996-99 M62 840CiA Japan Individuals
    6. 1996-99 M73 850CiA(the 1997-99 850Ci's were "special-order" only cars)
    7. 1991-93 M70 850i/Ci 6spd manuals
    8. 1996-99 M62 840Ci's
    * Higher value for 6spds (if you can find them)
    * UK/Euro 840Ci Sport

Reading this depressed me.

I really love my car, don't get me wrong. I had wanted one since 1991. Owning the car and the fun I have had with it over the last year is pricesless... however, in the back of my mind, I was hoping that its value would some day increase.

Thoughts?

My 1995 BMW 840Ci
    Authentic M Parallels, Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S, ACS-style aluminum pedals and more to come...

• Hi,

I don't think you need to worry about it - I think that each of us has the 8 for different reasons but no matter what the reason, you fall in love with the car. After one year of owning my car I have no intention of selling it - wjo knows though, maybe in the future something else will catch my eye more than the 8.

As to increasing value, remember that these are already quite rare cars and they are getting rarer every day almost - you will have seen some of the postings regarding wrecked / totalled cars. The question of price will be determined as ever by supply and demand and even with an even demand, as the supply gets less the price my go up.

According to the current adverts for comparable cars, my 8 has increased in value over what I paid for it a year ago.

I doubt that you'd lose money if you ever decide to sell the car (apart from the constant investment in parts you endure as an 8 owner)

Cheers,
    Jason

• Re: Need some reassurance

Zitat von cel0202

I had wanted one since 1991. Owning the car and the fun I have had with it over the last year is pricesless...

this above line answers all your questions :D

My thoughts below.....

2 1/2 years ago I paid £10K for mine. I really wanted a black M62 Sport and paid a premium for it. I have spent around £7K on it since. Similar cars to mine sell for less than £8K on Autotrader (often much less), so you can see for me the e31 is anything but an 'investment opportunity'.

But, what else comparable could I get for £17K ??? Answer, nothing.

Of the 30000 examples made, I'd guess natural wasteage/wrecks have lowered this number by a third, but that still leaves 20000 examples to choose from. IMO that is not rare, and a potential buyer still has plenty to choose from.

When the number falls below 5000 worldwide then you may, just may, have appreciating asset, but whilst you wait for that you will probably add 50K - 100K miles on the clock. Also, by then who will want to buy a 4 or 5 litre engined car when Oil prices hit $180 a barrel ? Not many.

Only the rarest of the e31s currently increase in value, such as the B12, and these need to be kept in storage. Where is the 'fun' in that ??

Do not be depressed. Drive your car into the ground if need be - it is your car and you'll have much more enjoyment out of it, rather than wait for it to increase in value.

Unless you are a very rich collector with 10s of unusual cars in your stables and nothing else to spend your money on, what is the point in owning something you dont use ???

I do between 10 and 20K miles a year in mine, so that gives me another 5 to 10 years of enjoyment before she hits 200K miles. I reckon that is her expected lifespan and I have no problem with it.

And by then other cars currently out of my price range will become feasible, and I'll enter the next phase of my life...... :D

• I have to agree with Tony, it's all supply and demand.
    When I bought mine 2 yeas ago it was at a decent price, however I decided to put some money into it and get it as good as I can, and with some minor personal twists.
    I am well on my way to get the car in mint condition on the technical side.
    by the end of this month it will be as new, or better.
    The exterior is the next major step for me, with some CSI bits and a respray.
    The interior is in the planning, but nothing is decided yet.

I bought this car because when I was a teenager in the early 90s the 8 series was a dreamcar.... It was up there with the Lamborghini's and the Ferrari's.... And now one is parked outside my house.
    I just want to get this car as good as it can get, and enjoy it for the years to come.
    I will never get my money back, And I'm sure I'll pass £50.000 before I'm done with her. (I'm at £35.000 ish allready)

There are curreently 2 CSI's for sale in Norway both for about £50.000
    14 8's in total for sale right now.
    the mentioned CSI's, one 840 for about £34.000
    and 11 850's from £18-30.000

Honestly I believe that they will stay around this price in my country.
    Only 6 8's was sold new here, and I suspect that there might be 100 or so in the country, so really a rare car.

In my mind I have saved a car worth saving, and intend to drive it for years and years to come.
    It's only done 138.000km (85.000 miles) so there is plenty more miles in her.

Tony. 200.000miles.... I think she will do more than that.....

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• When you look at the big picture, there's actually very little difference between the No.1 in the list and the No.8.

The main things are V8 or V12, Manual or Auto, CSi body-kit or not. ....and it's always possible to make modifications to move up the list.

In any form, it's still a desirable car

• I don't think I'll lose much on mine, being that it's an 840Ci/6 of which only 57 RHD models were produced worldwide. So it's a sellers market, the odd one that does come up for sale tends to go for significantly more than an equivalent auto -- except where the seller doesn't realise the rarity of the manual meaning the buyer gets a bargain.

I've owned mine for going on three years now (wow how time flies :shock:) and although I've come close to selling it once or twice, I have subsequently changed my mind. Mine has been very reliable, just the usual small niggles like needing both the main and aux water pumps changed, but all-in it's actually been pretty cheap to run. Other than fuel costs (which applies to any big engined petrol car), this is probably one of the cheapest cars I could have owned taking into account the lack of depreciation.

• need some reassurance

For me, the 8series is one of the most understated, yet exceptionally charismatic cars around.

With all due respects, I couldn’t care less about the so-called worldwide collectibility list; and I mean that sincerely.

Put it this way, if two mechanically and cosmetically good and relatively similar looking 8s were put next together, one were a B12 and other the least collectable, if the colour of the latter was my favourite I’d go for it.

The aesthetics of the 8 series is unexplainably attractive. In fact driving behind a nice 8 and observing it in motion is almost as enjoyable to me as driving one. Hand on heart, I don’t think I can say that for any other car.

Just enjoy owning one and do whatever you want with it. You never question yourself about spending thousands on your annual holidays or worry that you didn’t invest the money instead, do you?

Something that cheers you up, like your 8, is surely good for you and worth it.

• I never thought about collectability when I bought my 840 5 years ago.

I don't think about it now either. Driveability is all that I was concerned about then and now.

Some day it will wear out and I'll put it back together again :D and again and again.

I'll let my kids worry about how collectable it is :D

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Zitat von TerryY

Some day it will wear out and I'll put it back together again :D and again and again.

That's exactly my view - my car has now close to 200,000 KM under the belt but it doesn't show it - I will repair, fix it, somehow keep it all together and intend to keep it a long time :)

• Zitat von TerryY

My feelings entirely,I recently joined the Alpina forum :) where owners are talking about the same topic "when will my car be collectable" & even not useing their cars TOO much so as not to rack the mileage up :!::!: FFS, thats what cars are for ,DRIVING IN ,or am I missing something. :)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Good to see everyone in agreement for a change :D

Just to clarify my expenditure : Not counting Tyres, I have only spent perhaps £1000 on worn out parts, the rest has been on selective upgades that were not needed, but wanted. This site has a lot to answer for :lol: since I wouldnt have known about them otherwise. Thanks everyone for making my car faster/stronger/smarter than your average bear.....

If I wanted to make money from my 8 I'd stick a Hackney Carriage plate on the bumper :lol:

• Zitat von TerryY

I never thought about collectability when I bought my 840 5 years ago.

Exactly my point of view. Our E34 B10 Alpina is now approaching 206,000 miles and has yet to have the head off it. When it needs anything done it gets it for a fraction of the depreciation cost on any later model I could buy and it is still a great driver.

My attitude with the 840 ci Sport is exactly the same. I have a new set of Bilsteins, Camber plates, rear reinforcing turret plates and a 3.64 LSD diff all here or on their way. I will fit them and drive it, and fix it and drive it. And then like Terry's, my kids can worry about what it's worth as well.

Alan

It is easier to get foregivness than permission!

• I believe that your car, being US based will hold its value well if properly looked after and maintained. It's different here in the UK and Europe with it now costing £100 ($200) to fill it with fuel as this artificially devalues the car simply due to its fuel consumption. Here, only the rarest or best condition cars will attract the keenest enthusiast.

You seem to have bought the car to drive and enjoy rather than as an investment, so calculate your depreciation per mile and I am sure you will find little else to compare the enjoyment you get for that cost per mile. And when driving you look a million dollars as well as feeling it.

How many McLarens, Lambourghini's and Ferrari's sit unused in garages, not being driven and enjoyed, loved and cherished just for the sake of an investment? Probably most of them. Ever seen a high mileage Bugatti for sale?

OK, so your car isn't in the top 8, so what. Mine is at no2, and has depreciated only £20k in 8 years. Thats about the same depreciation as a Ford/Vauxhall every 3 years or a Renault/Peugeot/Citroen every 2 years, so my CSi is 3 to 4x cheaper to own.

No contest.

8Tech.

• Zitat von 8Tech

And when driving you look a million dollars as well as feeling it.

You chose the perfect words.

As I originally said, having the car the past year has been very enjoyable and absolutely priceless.

I have a sense of greed.... I suppose the phrase I can use to sum up the reason for originally posting this topic is "can I eat my cake and still have it too?" (I know I've paraphrased the saying, but this is the only way it actually makes sense.)

But everyone is right... I shouldn't look ahead and wonder about the value of the car down the line. There are far better things to worry about... such as living in the moment and continue enjoying the car as I have during the last year. :)

My 1995 BMW 840Ci
    Authentic M Parallels, Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S, ACS-style aluminum pedals and more to come...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!