ASC ABS Ecu needed to get my car back on the road. Help needed from you guys !

• Yeah I was pretty pleased. It came off a late 96 840 so fingers crossed. At least it has the same number, which is the main point. The e38 ones seem to be going for around £80, so it seems logical that the e31 be double the price !! As usual....

Reinhard, are you suggesting that even with the same part number it may not work properly, or were you typing that reply before seeing post ? :hmmmm:

Hope it was the latter.... !

• Zitat von Argonaut;62231

Just small point to add Arnie, the M73 had DSC, my 1997 car has DSC.

Yes, I think it was an option on the e31. DSC is mentioned in the user manual, but I have not seen any 840Ci in the UK with DSC.

Zitat von Reinhard

There were M62 E38/39 that had ASC+T only (until 1998 ). In theory the unit will be the same as the one for the E31 M62.

Yes, I think that's true. Probably, using the eprom from the old ecu and transplanting it to the new one would solve any differnce in operation.

• Zitat von TallTony;62291

FAB just phoned me to say the ECU has a dent in it from the removal process :banghead:

I struggle to see how this happened since it is a piece of cake to extract. However, it is guarranteed for 3 months so I gotta take the chance that it works.... rocking horses don't poop on my doorstep very often :harhar:

maybe they removed it from the houseing with an Axe?

Hopefully it'll be fine, maybe you can swap the innerds into your old housing?

• well guys....

it's been 3 years and 2 months since my ABS and ASC lights first came on, which was only two months since I bought the car. I've had a new ECU and ECU plug (temporary fix for 6 months) and a new ABS pump from Sprucegoose (but didnt solve it), new Relays and thorough connectivity check on sensors etc (no joy). BBA Reman diagnosed my replacement ECU as internally corroded despite it showing no obvious sign on exterior, so I tried in vain to find another, only for you guys to help me (again) in the end.

On Tuesday the replacement ECU turned up from FABrecycling, and only 30 mins ago did I get round to fitting it ! Since I needed to charge the batteries first before I could even start the car.

Result :top: Plugged ECU in, turned car on, lights OUT :devilchilli:

Warmed the car up, and went for a spin around the industrial estate (since it is currrently SORN'd), tested the ASC with a bit of heavy footedness and that works too. Lots of flashing :top:

£150.00 inc VAT & Shipping.

Clearly I am a very happy man right now, and going to celebrate by getting some tax and Fully Comp INS and hopefully have a nice summer driving my car again !

Gonna seal this unit as best I can before securing it under the carpet to try and stop moisture getting in and corroding the innards since it seems to be an issue in my car.

I just hope (and pray) that this ECU will stand up and last the lifetime of the car, or at least another 50K miles or so.

Cheers fellas, I'm off to the pub :beer:

• Zitat von TallTony;62767

.....Gonna seal this unit as best I can ....

If you take the cover off, you can spray the printed circuit with a clear lacquer. There are special "conformal coatings" specially made for this purpose, but you can equally use a can of clear spray lacquer. I've done this with other ECUs and it makes them waterproof, even if water should get in.

Anyway, very glad to hear you're system is OK again!

• Tony pleased that finally you have solved your problem :itsme: really hope you have a good summer in the car - hope you can get to Gaydon meet you there :top:

1991 850ci,
    2001 540
    2002 4.6 Range Rover Vogue

• Yes, it does look pretty bad. However, if the corrosion has not eaten through the copper tracks, then even this one might be recoverable to keep as a spare.

The problems are likely to be due to the encrusted corrosion visible between the pins of some of the chips.

The loose corrosion can be brushed off and, if you have access to one, the board can be dipped into an ultrasonic cleaning bath.

Then, the electrolytic capacitors should be changed as these can only be expected to last about 10 years before starting to go bad (and either leak or explode). In fact, looking at it again, there seems to be some corosion trails already comming from the capacitors!

Anyway, this would perhaps be more of a curiosity project to see if could be restored. But there would be no harm in water-proofing your new board.

Here is an example of a suitable coating:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29005
    Order Code: RE80B £5.49

...or for "tropical" applications, with fungicide:
    http://www.wes.uk.com/009-0008%20Issue%209.PDF

• Whereabouts is this offending module........preventative maintenance called for methinks :top:

Cheers
    Alex

There are 10 types of people in this world,
    those who understand binary code,
    and those who don't !

• A trip to Maplin it is then....... :top:

The module is located in the passenger door sill. Take the carpet up and you will see three boxes, and the ASC ecu is the one nearest the wheel arch. It's a little tricky contorting both the carpet and yourself to extract it, but can be done.

In my case I suspect that a can of fizzy drink was spilt in that area and seeped through onto and into the ecu's plug. Since the area was bone dry with no sign of permanent moisture I think this is most likely, especially when you see the extent of corrosion, and the way there is a distinct moisture path shown by the corrosin residue in pic 2. As the unit sits vertically with the plug at the top then this dribble makes sense.

Those flimsy 'cupholders' on the glovebox lid are a prime suspect :hmmmm:

Since you cannot guard against these acciddents it may well be a good preventative measure to seal the unit - they do cost over a grand from the $tealers :naughty:

• I knew I shouldn't have tempted fate :banghead:

lights didnt go out yesterday and I feared the module, after taking module out and finding it is in pristine condition and all the fuses related to abs are ok I'm stumped as to what to try next :dontknow:

On a couple of starts since the lights stayed on, the lights were off but came on about 10mins later......any ideas ?
    cheers
    Alex

and those who don't !

• Bloody Hell:ahhhhh: I did wonder about your motives for this challenge, as I'm a firm believer of 'if it aint broke don't fix it' I'd bet you may have disturbed something whilst meddling so it's got to be worth pulling the carpets once more:hmmmm:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• If they go off after the ignition on self test but come on while moving I would suspect the wheel sensors.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Worth a reboot. My abs light came on recently after I'd let my batteries completely die. I fully charged my batteries and left them disconnected for a while and all is now good. For now....

• The lights stayed on before I had a look @ the module, I'm a subscriber to the if it aint broke dont fix it motto, having said that I thought it worth a look due to the weather we have up here !
    I'll check wheel sensors and do a reboot, thanks guys :top:

Cheers
    Alex

and those who don't !

• Alex, sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but... the images I posted above are of the 1st Module I removed about two years ago. Clearly this has dramatic corrosion damage, and makes for a good photo opportunity, BUT....

I replaced this one with another identical but pristine looking unit from a breaker. This unit worked for 6 months or so, but then started to fail in the same way the first one did. ie. intermitent ABS ASC lights on. Some days none at all, and then some days they came back. This happened until the gaps between failings shortened and eventually they stayed on.

Since I'd replaced a faulty ecu with the new one, which had no visible signs of corrosion, I then replaced the Pump (lights still on), had the sensors checked (OK) and had a continuity check of the wiring (OK). Then, and only then, I sent the Module off to BBA Reman for checking as a last throw of the dice. They told me it has internal corrosion damage, and couldnt even be fired up for testing.... ! The culprit... again !

If your prob doesnt go away soon, I'd send the unit off for checking. If you catch it in time they CAN be repaired. Hope this helps.

Tony

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!