Hello, new guy here...

• Hello folks.
    Today I put a deposit on a 840ci sport, 1997, 74k miles.
    So I thought I'd say hi. :winkwink:
    I'll hopefully be picking it up this weekend.

I have been trying to sell my Alfa Romeo Brera for a while now and a deal has finally been organised. I've been looking at Boxsters mostly, along with lots of other interesting options. I was even looking for a good Z4 but nothing came up that was as nice as my previous Z4.

The 8 series was a car I kept looking at, reading forums like this, looking at adds for cars for sale 200 miles away. Thinking most would be sheds that needs thousands spending on them.
    Well, whilst out and about, yesterday I rang about an add that was not far off my route home. I'd failed to find a good Boxster whilst on my travels so I thought why not have a look at the 840.

The car supposedly belongs to some rich guy who didn't want to trade it in at BMW. I wasn't totally convinced by this over the phone, but the car seems to confirm it.
    Paint in excellent condition apart from the sunroof having a spot of rust on the back edge (something to worry about?) Interior very nice aswell, the car has obviously been taken care of.
    Lots of BMW dealer reciepts, with suspension, cat, tyres, all replaced in the last couple of years and each year it's done around 4k miles between main dealer services.
    I took it for a quick drive, it seemed nice and tight, not like a 13 year old car at all. Only the brakes were juddering, probably from standing for a while.
    The brakes are getting sorted, as is the sunroof. So it should be mint when ready.

With the sale of my car, I'll have a few k left over after buying the 840, ready for those potential bills. But seeing the history and condition of the car, it should be relativly trouble free for a while.

It's a good job I'm moving, instead of 40 miles each way to work, it will be more like 2 miles :) So I'll still be spending a lot less on fuel that I have been.
    I can actually see my office across the river from my new flat... Luckily the flat has underground parking, I don't like leaving my cars outside.

As for myself, well I'm a youngster, 27:mrgreen-angel: and obviously a bit of a petrol head. Although I often act like an old man and look a lot younger than 27. I've always recieved odd looks when getting out of my Z4 and Brera, god knows what people will think when I get out of the 840 :P

• Congrats Herminator on your exquisite choice!!! You made the correct one, no question. The car sounds like a peach and given some items are being taken care of before you get it, then happy days!
    It's a wonderful car and especially unique too - boxsters.....well, ya see them all over the shop so nothing special in my eyes (no disrespect to your taste of course). But an 8 series on the other hand; a joy to behold!!!

As for age, I'm only 29 myself; got my 840ci just after turning 28! I've loved every minute; few bills I could have done without along the way but it's all good. (the killer for me is the road tax - here in Ireland, for such an engine, it's EUR1600 per year (that's about £1400 sterling road tax per year!) - ouch!!!! Anyway, it's worth it.

Make sure you get pics up asap - I'm looking forward to seeing lots of snaps!!! Best of luck with it and you're in the best place for any advice you may need :winkwink:

• Welcome to the club. I think that you picked the best of the 8 Seroes cars but then I am prejudiced :)

I have spent very little on my 840 in the years that I have had it other than tires and toys.

You will need to schedule some good runs to keep the batteries charged and the oil free of condensation if you only have a 2 mile commute.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I'll probably take a sunday drive to the parents house for a good feed and to give the car a run out. I'll still be doing a quarter of my current weekly milage.

Are the two batterys in the boot?

What is the recommended oil for the later 4.4 engine?
    Thank god we don't have the Irish road tax system, it sounds crippling. Here it should fall under the old pricing, just £190 a year.

I saw an old post about fitting an original style cd headunit, replacing the tape one. Can these still be bought for a reasonable price? Is it a simple swap?
    I could go down the route of a modern headunit, but I'd rather keep the car looking original. If I did go modern, I'd probably go for a double din satnav unit, if the other things could be rearranged.

I've just had a call from the guy selling the car. Aparently the brake juddering was something to do with the steering control arm, so a replacement is on order :hmmmm: Seems odd since it felt so regular, but my mechanical knowledge is basic and theoretical more than practicle. Atleast it's not costing me anything and the problem will be solved before the sale.

• Zitat von Herminator;73273

Thank god we don't have the Irish road tax system, it sounds crippling. Here it should fall under the old pricing, just £190 a year.

Don't mention the war!!! It's a ridiculous system :motz:....anyway!! I like the sound of £190 per year though!

• Zitat von Herminator;73273

I saw an old post about fitting an original style cd headunit, replacing the tape one. Can these still be bought for a reasonable price? Is it a simple swap?

Hope you're enjoying your new 8.

It's a simple swap, 15 minute job max, but if you have a cd changer in the boot you will loose the use of it as the BMW Business CD (CD43) uses a different protocal for comminication..... wiring looks the same but is not!.. and the other one a BMW Business CD RDS CD23 does not have the facility to control a CD changer, but these a very prone to faulty CD mechanisms and pixel loss.

Rob

Why have 4 when you can make a V and have 8 and roar

BMW 840Ci Sport (After 8 Club member now).... BMW X5 4.6is (LPG).... TVR Chimeara 4.0

Slipped a 6 in......Racing Dynamics K38
    And another 6.....Alpina Roadster 3.4S

• Thanks, I think I'll stick with the cd changer in the boot, as long as it doesn't jam like my old Z4's one :banghead:

I still haven't picked up the 8, the buyer of my Brera decided to dissapear and leave me up "the creek"
    I have a couple of interested buyers though and hope to sort something in the next few days. Then I can go pickup the 8 :driver:

• Hello and welcome to the Forum! I didn't see your post first time around!

a '97 840ci Sport is a good choice, maily because I have one! Pictures would be nice too........

• Well it took a little longer to get my old car sold and I've spent a bit more than I planned on the 8 series, but it's all just about sorted now.

I've had it about 3 weeks and in that time I've had it serviced by BMW Fawdingtons. The oil service was suprisingly reasonable. But it did need a new rear spring, so I replaced both to be safe. Also had the tracking done since it didn't feel right at motorway speeds, too much toe out making the car too eager to change lanes and the steering wasn't quite straight.

The guy I bought it off, had had a couple of the front suspension parts replaced before I bought it and obviously not had the geometry realigned. :naughty:

It's also had a new set of tyres.
    Just ordered some wiper blades and a couple of other small items from bmminiparts.com

Expensive but it's given me piece of mind that the cars been looked over and should be good for a while now. Apart from maybe a couple of new batteries in the near future...

So far I'm loving the car, great to cruise around in and great to mash the throttle for some V8 goodness away from the traffic lights:driver:
    I just love how solid it feels. I can see it being a keeper, I'll just have to have a two or three car garage:devilchilli:(I'd love another Z4 parked next to the 8, then probably something sensible too)

It needs a wash (I spent another £50 on cleaning stuff last week) but here are the pics.

• Very nice, very nice indeed! The pics look great and the work that you've had carried out thus far should certainly make the experience more enjoyable. Well wear and congrats on a great purchase! :grin2:

• repair website

Zitat von Timm;73915

Hello and welcome to the Forum! I didn't see your post first time around

I did browse through your repair manual found on the forum.
    I am very impressed by the simple an easy to understand explanations, and yet quite complete
    Must be the best addition to the forum
    The only thing I just discovered it by luck, I am not shure that there is a how it can be found easily.
    Helmut0209
    :):):):)

• welcome to the 8 forum,
    lots of help and friendly support here i can vouch for that :winkwink: ur car looks great please take care of her not alot more clean examples around!!!!!

• Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :winkwink:
    Still loving the car, even with the mpg in the low teens... :devilchilli:

I'm suprised no ones pointed out the backwards throwing stars yet :roll:
    I think it's the fronts that are on the wrong sides, but with directional tyres on, it would be a fuss to change them over.

Anyone know where I can get a good price on a pair of quality batteries? Most cheap online places seem to only sell no name rubbish and I'm sure Halfords prices can be beaten.

• Zitat von Herminator;75262

I'm suprised no ones pointed out the backwards throwing stars yet :roll:

Your choice of pictures makes THAT a bit tricky - I would not even guess :D

The throwing stars are only inserts attached with hex bolts to the rim - you can remove them without touching the rubber ;)

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Ah, I though I'd posted this pic...

and one more for good measure

Thats the parents house in the background, unfortunatly I don't think I'll be able to use thier garage for working on or storing this car, the driveway you can just about see has quite a crest at the top. An S-Type Jag can only just get over it with a little scraping, the 8 seems a similar length but probably a touch lower :thumpdown:
    I'll probably visit them tomorrow so my father can see the 8 for the first time. Maybe I'll persuade him to get one instead of a new style XK that he's been looking at for years. Although I have got him half interested in a 6.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!