Lot's of Csi's about right now

• Not badly priced IMO for a 98 S plate

I'm a software dev and director of an online new car retailer - I wrote the used car valuation software (that uses CAP and Glass's) that we use - youdonwannaknow what book value for our cars is.....

• Zitat von Jin;73919

Not badly priced IMO for a 98 S plate

I'm a software dev and director of an online new car retailer - I wrote the used car valuation software (that uses CAP and Glass's) that we use - youdonwannaknow what book value for our cars is.....

Book value for an 8 series is about as much use as a Pork Pie at a Jewish wedding:harhar:

8 series are now well beyond the Dealers black book ,mainly bought by knowledgeable Bmw enthusiasts looking for for a piece of motoring history who have more knowledge than the trade of what the value actually is;-)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von stevep840;73920

Book value for an 8 series is about as much use as a Pork Pie at a Jewish wedding:harhar:

8 series are now well beyond the Dealers black book ,mainly bought by knowledgeable Bmw enthusiasts looking for for a piece of motoring history who have more knowledge than the trade of what the value actually is;-)

Couldn't've put it better myself

• As with anything, an 8 series is only worth what somone is prepared to pay for it, and our cars are actually going up in value for the best ones owned by enthusiasts, and down in value for the rest.

A 3 year old Fiesta is worth more than the average 840i. Any takers?

The value can also be considered at what the car is worth to yourself, so any other value is irrelevant. For most of us its a toy, a toy just like a Caterham or TVR but more leisurely and useable every day if necessary.

Take my CSi. To replace it I would want a DB9 or Vanquish. Sorry, but I dislike Ferrari and Porsche, not because they are bad cars, just the rich-boy (Chav) image they have. I would quite like a new Nissan Skyline because I could modify (read as play) with it. So,to me my car is worth £60k.

Few of us (here in the UK) get a lot of leisure time and our cars are hobbies and entertainment and people need both, so trying to value that is difficult. The cars are challenging but very satisfying to work on and you can still feel $1,000,000 driving one.

Just my view. :cool:

8Tech.

• I can't say I feel $1m driving mine - BUT - I DO feel like an individual.

The part of London where I live 911's ands M3's are a dime a dozen - nobody bats an eyelid even though they are technically 2 of the finest cars around.

After getting the 840 back from Gerry I spent the day fiddling around with the lights and not 1 but 2 of my neighbours (whom I'd never spoken to in 3 years) approached me in admiration of the car.

Thats a cool car...

• I dropped mine off this weekend to get the glass lightly tinted,

Whilst parked outside I was talking to the installer when a younger member of staff came outside, you could visibly see him stopping in his tracks, only to splutter in amazement "What's that?" we explained:cool:

Never before have I experienced that sort of admiration with other cars I've owned:harhar:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Part of my pleasure is driving round in something with £100k presence for the price of a second hand Fiesta!

I remember in a car park discussion (started by 911 owner - no idea which variant) where the gentleman said about his vehicle "Your looking at £90,000 of evolutionary perfection here mate" (or words to that effect).
    No idea why he began the conversation, drove up, parked beside me as I was getting out and out he came with it.
    The point being that (much to the 911 owner's obvious discomfort) the passing trolley collectors only had eyes for the £7000 worth of bargain basement beemer.

• I would have to agree with what has been said, although I do think prices are going up for low mileage examples.
    In my humble opinion I do not think there is anything like it on the roads and for that price and for what it symbolises - one of the greatest car manufacturers of our time - BMW's intentions to manufacture the ultimate driving machine without compromise (something which no car maker would dream of today).
    Everytime something goes wrong with it I ask myself if I was to sell mine for book value, could I get something for the same price, same performance, the same drop dead gorgeous looks, something that could put the same sort of smile on my face, and the answer is no.
    So therefore the love affair (or insanity) continues. :top:

• Mine is tucked away in my garage for the forseeable, as moving house means I dont have time to enjoy it enough to keep it running - plus I need to channel funds away from the e31 'money pit' towards kitchens and bathrooms etc. It isn't broken, just needs a few bushes (I think).

Time and time again I have thought about selling it , but each time I simply cant find the reserve to part with it. It makes me laugh because it is just a hunk of metal plastic and rubber, but I feel now after 4 years that I have some sort of ridiculous responsiblity towards it ! I wouldn't mind, but I've got two real kids who are far more deserving.

Problem regarding it's value is that anything that even remotely interests me now is so much more expensive. I would only ever want a similar form of luxury and presence, and that these days seems to be only found in Astons and Porsches. Ferraris and Lambos etc are too flashy. No body snears at an Aston, and no one has ever bad mouthed my e31. I sometimes feel a bit embarassed talking for the millionth time in any given car park about how it is nearly 13 years old and worth peanuts, when these facts have clearly passed the onlooker by. They just see a thoroughly nice looking car.

So unless my numbers come up on the Lotto, I'm perfectly happy. Even if they did come up I'd keep it, just in one corner of my collection :)

• As I'm thinking about selling mine (CSi), I recently paid money to get the Parkers and Glasses valuations with mileage adjustment (50k)...
    Parkers - £8305 (private, good)
    Glasses - £6030 (private sale) dealer trade-in (excellent) £2760 !!!! :laugh:

Just shows you how out of touch valuation guides are for 1) cars more than 10 years old and 2) special interest/modern classics.

Agree with all the other comments on the amount of attention these cars get for the money, and for the knowledgeable when they realise its a CSi, unbelievable... comments like "I never thought I would actually see one" or "I'd buy it just for the front discs and calipers" .....
    Amazing, and after 3 years I still don't get tired of looking at it in admiration of the lines .....

• Zitat von martinw;74185

dealer trade-in (excellent) £2760 !!!! :laugh:

Sometimes, just sometimes, people don't realise what they've got and accept trade in values such as that.....

;):cool:

• Haha the public and those who have no clue about their 8 series normally think its a CSI... a few people remarked "is that the 3.5 litre version".... erm no..no its not. ;)

prices seem to have stabilised for our 8ers which is good. I can only see prices starting to rise for the better examples.

I wouldnt sell mine (altho i nearly did for a monaro VXR!) i cant imagine parting with her now...i know every inch of her and am almost (bar rear suspension bushes and struts) happy with her state of condition.

The car gets more attention and comments / disscussions than any car ive owned in the past or have driven in the past...which makes ownership that little bit sweeter IMO!

Re V12 Maniac - David, put at least some details in re your CSI on pistonheads...mileage, full BM service? etc and some decent pictures of the car CLEAN. :poke:

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

• mmmmmm i seeeeee!! must be a difficult decision! i love the M635CSI especially in macao blue - not sure why they didnt manufacture the 8 in that colour option.

good luck with the sale of the 6! :top:

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!