• I'm getting my throwing star alloys refurbed on the 9th !

My question to the 8er community is -

What colour do I get them done to match/suit Orient Blue ?

Cheers, Alex :drink1:

There are 10 types of people in this world,
    those who understand binary code,
    and those who don't !

• Thanks for your input Gerry, duly noted !

BTW, Gerry, the braided brake hoses & rear shock plates my son's bought me for xmas pressie are OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!

Anyone who doesn't have these on their 8 doesn't know what they are missing :top:

and those who don't !

• Another vote for keeping it original!

Many wheel refurb places buy their silver in bulk. This also means they don't have to clean the spray guns all the time etc. You will probably have a choice of three silvers, with three dummy wheels available to browse at reception. Pick them up and take them outside! Choose the closest silver to the original silver to keep costs down.

You could always spec your own silver/colour, but it will cost quite a bit more.

Stress for stick on weights to the inner only.

Check your tyre sidewalls carefully for damage or 'egg' bulges before dropping them off. Sometimes they compress the sidewalls too much on the tyre machine to break the beads - refit them - and then screw you for some new tyres when it was their carelessness.

If the wheels are handed - and the wheel refurb company have never done throwing stars, make sure they match the directional throwing stars to the directional tyres - if applicable.

Whatever they quote you, have a 20% contingency. They quote real low to get the work, then ring you up and say they are 'out of true' and need remidial work at another 25 quid each - you have to take their word for it.

Identify your wheels as yours (distinguishing marks or a BMW date stamp) to make sure you get your own wheels back and not some exchange stock items from an unknown source that may of been weld reapaired.

That just about covers my nightmares with wheel refurbers!

Good luck and rest assured there is no better visual imporvement vs. cash outlay than refurbing wheels. Should look good.

• I thought the centers of throwingstars came with a choice of silver or carbonfiber,skinning your centers with real carbonfiber would look good and nowadays you can get different colours of carbon fiber,

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and its just my humble opinion, but naked throwing stars get a big thumbs down from me. They look like something from Halfords!

The throwing star is such an iconic BMW wheel, and the cool factor of having directional alloys seems such a shame to loose.

If it was a focused driving machine where aesthetics didn't matter, the removal of the stars would give a reduction in unsprung mass; but otherwise, avoid the temptation!

• Yes throwing stars are nice with their centres. naked is not quite right.

Consider getting the outer lip diamond cut and the star in the "correct silver", these then look superb.

Why have 4 when you can make a V and have 8 and roar

BMW 840Ci Sport (After 8 Club member now).... BMW X5 4.6is (LPG).... TVR Chimeara 4.0

Slipped a 6 in......Racing Dynamics K38
    And another 6.....Alpina Roadster 3.4S

• The wheels have now been done......fabulous job all round by Archie from smartalloysglasgow.co.uk .....the throwing stars needed a bit more time spent on them so I'm getting them back at the weekend, I'll post pics when the stars are back on. Colour is new sparkle silver 1 :top:

and those who don't !

• Zitat von Alex McDonald;75571

The wheels have now been done......fabulous job all round by Archie from smartalloysglasgow.co.uk .....the throwing stars needed a bit more time spent on them so I'm getting them back at the weekend, I'll post pics when the stars are back on. Colour is new sparkle silver 1 :top:

;)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!