do you use your 8 daily?

• ...and what kind of mileage do you do? Mine's a daily driver and I am doing about 15k miles a year. I suspect there are others here that do more than that? Whilst keeping all digits crossed, I am happy to report my 8 has been the most reliable daily driver I have owned.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Hi Jaap

After my thread today questioning the lack of new threads, it's only right I reply:harhar:

No not every day or even every week:hmmmm:My car is just for trips up the motorway or to car shows, the rest of the week I earn the money to keep the 8 alive in my Van, so the car covers no more than 3000 miles yearly:driver:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• My 8 has been my daily driver for 18months now and 29k miles later just a water pump, rear pads, window regulator and shocks all round have been replaced. Add to that tyres, filters & oils, respray & wheel refurb and it's been a pleasure to own & drive !
    Both my previous 5 series were faultless......all in all a big thumbs up for reliability and driving pleasure ! :top:

There are 10 types of people in this world,
    those who understand binary code,
    and those who don't !

• Had the Beauty for 6 years now. Up until last year it was a 'Drive as much as possible' car. 77,000 mls to 107000 mls (ish)

Now the car is in bits, just been resprayed and I'm doing various R&R on it and should be back together very soon, but just for high days and holidays now.....

• not really, it's more of a perodic driver.

It's usually stored from late October to April.

During the summer I use it a couple of times a week.
    Since I got my 8 in 2006 I've driven it 23.000km, where close to 10.000km of these are 3 long trips.

I use it when I want to go for a drive, meetings ect., for work and shopping I have the M3.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Mine was for about 5 years until I retired. Now most of my driving is taking my wife to work and she prefers riding in the Range Rover.
    Says she is much happier looking over the rest of the world rather than watching lugnuts go around next to her.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Zitat von TerryY;77180

Mine was for about 5 years until I retired. Now most of my driving is taking my wife to work and she prefers riding in the Range Rover.
    Says she is much happier looking over the rest of the world rather than watching lugnuts go around next to her.

Funny you should mention that but my wife also prefers the supercilious view from our Range Rover - the only problem with the RR is that it's proven itself to be pretty unreliable, currently off the road with a bust crankshaft position sensor and duff flywheel. When it's working though I must admit that it is a nice car to drive, different to the 8 but still good.

• When I got my 8 just 2 years ago this month, I relegated myself to the bus - I love public transport, really I do...........in Ireland, public transport is a shocker (enough said!). Anyway, I drive to the bus and drive home from the bus, each day - probably 2 miles each way!!! Apart from that, I drive at the weekends and evenings whether to football, golf, shopping - the usual. Also, trips down the country from time-to-time. I bought her with around 104,600 miles on the clock - it's about 112,200 now so doing about 4k miles per year.
    I love it to bits though - had a good bit of work done which has made it better than when I purchased:
    - New tyres all around (got all throwing stars pointing in the right direction now, as of about a month ago - I enjoy that now, the back ones were on backwards which seems to be the case with alot of 8's with the throwing stars for some reason!!)
    - 2 x new exhausts OEM
    - 4 new chrome exhaust tips
    - New radiator
    - Rocker cover gaskets done
    - Front suspension arms and bushings done
    - Windscreen washer fixed
    - Water pump replaced
    - 3 of the 4 pop up headlamp washers fixed (1 is not working as the piping is split and needs a whole new tube meaning the front bumper off - will get that done at some point!)
    - Oil and filter change

Think that's pretty much it. Few bits like fixing cruise control, re-furbing alloys, getting pixel problem fixed on OBC to be done but all in good time.

The only quam I have with the 8 - sorry, that's not fair...I'll start again. The only problem I have with big-engined cars i.e. anything over about 1.5 litre!, is the extorionate car tax here in Ireland- EUR1566 per year!! I may have mentioned this before - no likey! That's about £1300 a year I guess, sterling. For such low mileage, it's a crazy price to have to pay but hey, I knew what I was getting into.

All-in-all however, after going off on a tangent there, around 4k miles per year is my average!!!! ;)

• Hi,

i had mine in 2004 with 145000kms and now it is 200 000kms so i did about 55 000 kms in 6 years... not bad either. I try to use it as much as i can and go to work with it but it's only 24kms a day return!

Fabrice:driver:

Que la 8 soit avec vous!:driver:
    May the 8 be with you and for always!:winkwink:

Fabrice

• Right now my 8 is my daily driver too, but it's in storage all winter and I try to catch the bus to and from work. Although it's been little of that too now that the summertime is returning. It is just too tempting to just into the 8 already standing in the garage, but toll booths and parking tickets in the city centre every day is way too expensive here that I can keep driving it. Besides I already had the drivers side repainted once after another car made some nice new scratches along the side while I was parked...

I bought it in June last year and it had traveled 137 000 km, now just over 144k. Since it's mostly shorter trips and in the city it's a hard hit on the MPG. Been averaging around 17 to 18l per 100km.

I have a '70 beetle as a second car, but I am planning to sell that and get a cheap 3 or 5 series as a more daily driver and winter car.

• My E31 only comes out when the weather is nice. But even in the summer I rarely use it as a daily driver - that's not what I bought it for. I enjoy it for touring the country on a sunny weekend.

Zitat von keenan;77199

The only problem I have with big-engined cars i.e. anything over about 1.5 litre!, is the extorionate car tax here in Ireland- EUR1566 per year!!

Always look at the bright side - 1566 euro taxes per year is still cheap compared to what you'd pay in Belgium :mrgreen:.

• #1 has been the Lady´s daily car for the last 7 yrs and she still is quite fond of watching rotating lugnuts - done 90k kms (56k mls) since 2003. Elsewhere it was found out that mostly men turn their heads when they see a passing 8 - it´s more a chuck- than a chick magnet, so maybe she likes the attention she gets too :D
    This car almost never breaks down - happened once with shredded waterpump.

The other ones are strictly GT´s - only used for trips to see other 8´s and their owners.
    Those have regular cases of out of line maintenance - somehow they crave attention :harhar:

Our total is nearing 140k kms in the 8´s and loving every single meter of it.

Taxes... car drivers are the milking cows everywhere but strangely enough rates are comparatively cheap in Germany: a 4.4 will set you back only 320 EUR p.a. (7.36 per 100cc) BUT averaging 20ct per liter more than in some of our neighboring counties clearly show that even leeches have some ingenuity in store :rofl:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• I use mine only during the week-ends; especially in the summer.

I have an average of less than 5'000 km per year since I bought it in late 2006.

Regards,

Alex

• The tax is not to bad in Norway.
    Our road tax is just 415 euros a year, Insurance is not that bad either, I pay about 1000 euro a year for a full coverage.

Fuel is about 1,75 euro a litre, perhaps a little more than some other places.

I also have to pay 2 euros a day on tollroads to go to work, and If I want to go somewhere in the afternoon shopping or visit some friends thats another 2 euros every time.

To some of you this might appear to be cheap.
    But the actual buying cost of cars are extremely high here.
    A standard 850 in ok shape sells for 25.000 Euros here, a good one is over 30.000, and a CSI sells for 55-60.000 euros.
    A 2010 BMW 320i starts at 55.000, but with the must have options it's quickly close to 70.000euros.

In 1994 a base model 850i started at 200.000 euros, and the CSI started at 240.000 euros, and this was almost 20 years ago, Inflation adjusted thats close to 375.000 euros for a base line 850i today.
    That probably explains why only 6 e31's where sold new in Norway.

The cost of buying a car is astronomical here, but to use it is not that bad.

When I imported my 04 M3 from Germany in 2008, the car was 30.000 euros in Germany, tax deducted it was 26.000 euros.
    I then had to pay another 50.000 euros in import tax to Norway bringing the then 4 year old M3 just shy of 80.000 euros in total.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!