The E31 the illegitimate son of the BMW family?

• Many BMW enthusiasts seem to forget that it was the e31 that forged BMW into new territory with regard to electronics, rear suspension configuration, fly-by-wire, etc, etc. That is why they spent so much cash developing the car - for those who forget, just remind them that the development was $1,000,000,000.00. So, one can say that all BMWs after the e31 are our stepchildren...not the other way around!

BMW 850 CSi
    BMW 8er.org Clubs International (B8CI) Board Representative, USA and North America
    Editor, E31 NEWS International E31 Newsletter

• Zitat von rogbmw;80329

So, one can say that all BMWs after the e31 are our stepchildren...not the other way around!

Ginger stepchildren in the main. I've let myself down :oops:.

• Yes, yes indeed - where DID you get that? Is it a DIY job maybe? Looks brill.
    I remember being in the BMW garage last year and was looking through the catalogue while waiting to pick up a few bits and noted the key-rings. I thought, "nice one, there might be an 8 keyring here", but no such luck. I asked the guy (he was quite young in fairness but still!) in the parts section if they did an 8 series keyring and he said "a what?"!
    I said "an 8 series, ya know, BMW with the pop up lights?". He said he'd never heard of it!! Hee hee

• Zitat von smileynialley;80342

where did you get that?

A jeweler friend has made it for me from solid silver.
    I gave him a number 3 key fob from BMW ( not a cheap copy from ebay)
    I have had 4 made and posted them to fellow 8er's.
    1 in Germany and 2 in the US

• Forgotten flagship[

I cant agree with you more
    I have also noticed that on the Yahoo news page
    they often feature items such as "Best 10 classics" or
    Top 10 sports cars at affordable prices" and so on
    but NEVER do you see an 8
    Top Gear also ran a series on good old sports cars at affordable prices
    but AGAIN no 8's
    I wrote to them but
    obviously, no responce
    Every now and then I get a little disheartened
    the Someone pulls up next to me at a traffic light and says
    "what a beauty !! " she's a real classic
    I wonder what is said about our 8's in the designers studio in Germany
    I think the 8's will go down in history like the E Type--The AC Cobra The Mustang-- They are all legends
    Must say though--The Audi R8 is REALLY NICE !!!!!

• Thats why I have stopped reading Yahoo!
    However MSN - features the 8 in the top 50 SUPER CARS of all time as well as the most affordable top 10 SUPER CARS.
    Not a Sports car but a Super car!
    Makes me very proud and I never hesitate to remind my wife, family and friends that I own a Super Car :top:

• Insurance companies always claim to know best what things are worth and how they should be classified (at least when you try and claim).
    Well, my insurer regards and insures my 8 as a "classic" - even though it isn't old enough to qualify on age alone.
    QED.

• Zitat von sandwich;81311

Went to a local broker and got it cheaper anyway!

I'm also with Hagerty.
    They did increase my premium to over £200 this year, but for £10k agreed value I thought it still good value.
    Very impressed that there's even cheaper options about!
    Don't know how they choose which cars to "accept". I did have to give them lots of photos, web address and other stuff. At the end of the day it is at their discretion I guess.

• Zitat von E31;80260

...There are two sorts of driving, track driving, and cross continent driving. If someone told me to drive to Italy, I’d hop in my 8 like a shot.....

Did just that in the Summer - drove to Italy and back - just the kind of driving it was designed for... and I say that even in comparison to an e38.

Zitat von E31;80260

... It is the ultimate mile-cruncher (and poser when you get there)....

... True as well ! Even the local Padre crossed the road to take a look.

• Just came across this after joining. Just picked up my E31 at the weekend and very interesting to see your views.

I may not be the typical owner demographically speaking, but the talk of not really clicking with other BMWs certainly resonates. I've owned a number of E46's in the past and whilst they were "good" or "fine for what I needed", they definitely didn't have any magic about them.

Mine is a 1996 and it will be used daily for commuting and visiting client sites and I've honestly never sat in anything as well built. Passengers so far have been astounded when I inform them it's 18 years old, I can hardly believe it myself some times!

• Hi,

My dad was picking up his new car in Munich at the BMW-World. I found this little "cutting board" ("Frühstücksbrett" - I have no better translation) in the souvenier-shop. They only had three different models on the board - of which that blue CSi was one.

Maybe BMW is starting to remember.. maybe because a new 8-series is around the corner?
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/26552/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!