Another dream? E31 convertible

• That white one is a Koenig conversion.

There are several different convertible conversions of both 840 and 850i's floating around in the US. I have never seen on in person though so I can't comment on the quality of workmanship.

• White in general

Thanks Terry. Not sure if the trend is the same in the USA but white has pretty well died a death over here. I saw an Audi A4 Convertible today in white and am convinced in the next couple of years it will make a come back! Had a car new in 1984 [Astra GTE Compact GM thingy...cant recall what you called it! ] and within a couple of weeks had painted the mirrors , wiper arms and front grille in white. Perhaps even Duran Duran are making a comeback also !

• I can think of little worse than an aftermarket conversion to a convertible.
    Unless the original car had a separate chassis taking 100% of the torsional loading, cutting off the roof will set up all kinds of extra stresses, shimmies and shakes.
    What is more, the hood is so hard to get right - even for multinationals with multinational budgets.
    I've yet to see or drive an example that's changed my mind (often nice at first glance, but...).

• I think that it looks just so beautiful. Anyone out there disagree about the convertible look ?

A car doesn't need to have a chassis to create a drop top. Sure it's easier, but providing the neccessary stiffness is inserted into a monocoque then there's no reason why it can't be viable. F...ing expensive perhaps, but certainly possible.

I understood that the reason BMW never did it was simply because of the above. It would have ended up even more expensive for a car which was already mega expensive.

I for one would be very keen if any reputable company could create this conversion. Any other takers ? Don't tell me its sacriledge. It's only a car, and it's mine!! :lol:

• I won't argue about the looks - very nice indeed. :)
    A ground up design can be rigid and work a treat.
    My point was, that unless a car derives no strength from its body (has a chassis for that purpose instead), cutting the roof off a saloon or coupe will weaken the structure's torsional rigidity and cause "scuttle shake" and have a surprisingly major effect on handling.

• ... and now I've read Hemibum's comments more carefully, yes, extra strength can be built into the monocoque, but that would be one major job to do right - even some major manufacturers can't crack it. Probably be easier to weld up the doors - that normally gives the strength needed. :wink:

• They do look awesome and i'd love one!!!!!

I would also agree that the handling is probably f***ed by doing the conversion though!!

Deffo one for posing - not proper driving!!

• while I am no chassis design engineer I have cut one of these cars into six manageable chunks to take to the scrap metal yard (sold it for $33.00AUD, cheapest ever E31 sale?).

I can tell you that these cars weigh a couple of kilos short of a tonne because they are built strong. One must wonder, seeing BMW actually had a red converable at the 1990 Munich (corrections invited) Motorshow, whether the basic floopan was built for dual purpose.

The strength and amount of metal in just the sills is staggering. There are a half dozen gussets inside each that reinforce the length just like an airplane. The area beneath the rear seats is all double panelled and when you cut through the front pillars you find a round reinforcing tube that would take the worry out of a rollover The front door pillars are also quite massive.

In case of accident I think I would prefer to be in the 8 rather than anything it hit. The car I cut was rolled sideways and end for end tearing off both front wheels and a rear and while the only body part that was useable was the fuel filler lid the 16 year old theives apparently live to tell the story.

Like I said, not an engineer, but would think a quick can opener job and a splash of paint would do nicely.

Well, on second thoughts, Coupe is cool!

Cheers boys

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• I must admit the black convertible with the big alloys looks very beautiful and whilst I wish BMW made models in convertible I'd rather prefer coupe for the simple reason that in the event of a roll over how safe are these cars and also how safe are they at high speeds. At the end of the day its great as a show piece trophy but you must consider the fact that BMW engineered these cars on a coupe platform. I wouldnt say No to one though.

Its a shame why BMW didnt produce any convertible models for the market.

• Bleh.

I think the 8 looks best in a coupe.

We had a 840Ci that wanted a trade in for a Honda something. Dunno the deal but all I know was that it was a prospective trade-in...last week I believe, around the 4th. Hawt car. A day spent cleaning and tidying her up and she'd sell within a week. Deal fell through...:(

Looks aggressive in the front without flashiness like "modern" aggresiveness.

• Sorry to dig up an old thread...

I remember back in late 1999 early 2000 there was an off-and-on website called 850convertible.com which was tracking a conversion project. Never knew what happened to it, although there were photos of a converted 850, and another work-in-progress.

As I understand, BMW did (still do?) have two cabrio prototypes. The first was essentially a stock conversion. The problem they found was a complete lack of rear passenger room. The second was purpose designed and removed the rear passenger area completely to fit the roof housing. Last I heard both are still in Munich. I'd love to own one, simply for the joy of owning one!

First post, apologies for old thread ressurection, but always fascinated by the 850 ever since I first saw one:

A service station on the M4, 1993. A lorry full of soldiers pulls in. Now soldiers are well known for their "admiration" for the female of the species. Stunning leggy blonde steps out of a car, and the guys are having problems whether to drool over the blonde, or the mean, low-slung, red BMW no one has ever seen before. Those who know soldiers will understand just how impressive the car must have been!

• Zitat von alewis;56361

As I understand, BMW did (still do?) have two cabrio prototypes. The first was essentially a stock conversion. The problem they found was a complete lack of rear passenger room. The second was purpose designed and removed the rear passenger area completely to fit the roof housing. Last I heard both are still in Munich. I'd love to own one, simply for the joy of owning one!

I sat last year in one. :aetsch:

• Zitat von Wildatheart;56464

Great pics; what genius decided to put cloth seats in a convertible..

...and a trailer hitch/ tow bar? The last pic shows the ECU! :laugh:

• Zitat von Wildatheart;56464

Great pics; what genius decided to put cloth seats in a convertible..?

I was thinking the exact same thing :)

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!