Rammed off the road!!!

• unbelievable, this morning on the way to work I was exiting a roundabout from the right lane of a dual carriageway (A414) onto the right lane of the A405 when I guy in the left lane decided not to exit and proceed straight on, thus, colliding with the front passenger side of my 840!!!.

lots of panel damage, both upper and lower bumper, passenger wing, passenger door and passenger front wheel.

For some reason, the collision also ruptured the oil line(s) and it has dropped all of its oil, and, I am afraid it may have spun the big end bearings as it sounds like a tractor:(. Does anybody know what parts to the oil system may be hidden behind the passenger front wing that may have been damaged (oil cooler perhaps?)

After waiting 15 years for an 8 series I am completely gutted :(

Regards,

Jake

• Unlucky Jake, what a disaster. Get some pics up so we can see how difficult it's going to be to repair. Bumper/nose, wing and door are all bolt-on so not too tricky. Sounds like your inner wing may be toast and that's a bit more effort, let us know.

I'm not familiar with the V8, but the the oil filter canister is on the side on the V12, you may have ruptured the lines from that to the engine.

Not sure how old your car is but regardless it's probably going to an insurance total loss. Don't assume it has to die though....

http://www.8er.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9168

• My sympathies,
    A similiar thing happened to be, but it was in my wifes compact, initially the third part admitted fault but now has refused liability and the whole case is ongoing.
    I hope everything works out :top:

• Most probably it's only the lines to the oil filter, but also there are some servo and brake hydraulic systems there too (pentosin reservoir on inner wing and ABS pump and brake "bomb" behind wheel arch) and that may be the source of the oil leak.

Very sorry to hear about your mishap. I also had a bad day with my totally mint, very-low mileage e38 a few months back and although written off, I'm slowly putting it back together. If written-off, you might find that the insurace co. will pay out more than it costs to fix, but it's all a hassle, and I hope that it goes well for you.

• Very sorry to hear about your incident.

That manoeuvre is always an accident waiting to happen, I've had many a near miss and now never assume the inside driver is going to turn left.

I see Nick provided a link to his previous thread if you hadn't already seen it. It is quite remarkable what Nick achieved but he did it and will surely guide you around some of the more difficult times if you ask. In our limited way we will all try to help if that is the route you ultimately decide.

I really feel for you Jake, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Sorry to hear about the collision Jake - not part of the plan. Roundabouts + people = shambles. Plenty of help on hand here Jake so the very best of luck with it. Assume a cuppa tea and a spoon of sugar had you sorted out yourself? At least that's something, good news given the unfortunate circumstances. Cheers

• Sorry to hear this Jake - we all drive in fear of something like this happening. Hope you can get it sorted -and be thankful the other party had insurance.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Well, the other guy was insured and was driving a company vehicle. The panel damage has been estimated at £1200 to be repaired, however, the insurance company are disputing the oil issues saying that it was a pre-existing issue, which, is complete bull, my garage floor and drive a completely free of oil, and, my engine bay was oil free before this accident, these are the pictures of the oil issue, there is no way that I would not have noticed this!!!!

still upset and now getting angry, lol

• Sorry to hear your sad news Jake. In my day (38 yrs ago) the Highway code was that you only went into the right hand lane approaching a roundabout if you were going straight on or turning right. The principal being you never drove past an exit in the outside lane of a roundabout. Current driver training says you can approach a roundabout in the left hand lane and go straight on (not turning left). This is crazy and leads to many incidents. Hope you get it sorted - you will get plenty of help on this site.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Jake, absolutely gutted for you mate. Some inspiring stories on here. Hope you manage to overcome the ins co stupidity about the oil leak.:hmmmm:

Mark

• If the oil leak is only from the ruptured hose, as I think you've pictured, then it's no big deal and I wouldn't worry about it. After all these years, the hoses need replacing anyway, as the rubber perishes. (The blackish coating of oil and dirt on the components, hose and jubiliee clip seem like they have been there for a while and imost likely there was already a very tiny leak there that was made into a full leak by the impact of the accident.) If the insuracce co will not pay for the complete oil-repair, maybe you can get them to go for 50% or get your mechanic to write his opinion of the damage in your favour.

If the rest of the damage amounts to £1200, then I don't think your car will be written-off. Make sure you get new plastic wheel arch liners with the new wing as well as all the rubber seals and new fasteners etc. Think of it as an opportunity to improve the car!

• Beware insurance companies making up their own mind.
    I was going straight across a roundabout.
    Lane markings showed that straight on or left turn was left hand lane and right turn was right hand lane - "simples!"
    A car in the right hand lane decided to turned left at the last moment and swerved across me, damaging my os wing (I was driving an old banger - no not my 8!).
    The actual chain of events was not disputed, but because my front wing impacted his door it was decided by the insurance company that I drove into him and irrespective of his incorrect lane positioning also decided that I was at fault because I failed to avoid him......
    I refused to sign the forms admitting liability, so the insurance company simply paid up anyway and loaded my premium.
    The best part was when they asked if there was any particular reason I went elsewhere come renewal!

• Zitat von arnie;81075

If the oil leak is only from the ruptured hose, as I think you've pictured, then it's no big deal and I wouldn't worry about it. After all these years, the hoses need replacing anyway, as the rubber perishes. (The blackish coating of oil and dirt on the components, hose and jubiliee clip seem like they have been there for a while and imost likely there was already a very tiny leak there that was made into a full leak by the impact of the accident.) If the insuracce co will not pay for the complete oil-repair, maybe you can get them to go for 50% or get your mechanic to write his opinion of the damage in your favour.

If the rest of the damage amounts to £1200, then I don't think your car will be written-off. Make sure you get new plastic wheel arch liners with the new wing as well as all the rubber seals and new fasteners etc. Think of it as an opportunity to improve the car!

Thanks Arnie,

All I am asking of the insurance company is that they investigate the possibility that due to the loss of oil there may be potential engine damage, it is a fact that the oil leak as shown in the pictures was not there prior to the accident otherwise I would be stopping every mile to fill the car up with oil.

• Did you get an oil-pressure warning-light on the dash?

The oil sump holds over 8 litres and although there is a leak from the hose, it's very unlikely that the oil level would have dropped low enough to cause problems. Loss of pressure might cuse the hydraulics tappets to become noticelably noisy, but this is a temporary effect.

The hose that you show in your picture with the oil squirting out is not part of the main oil-circuit. I think it's the return line from the pressure control valve, so it would seem unlikely that you lost main oil pressure. Check the line and see where it goes, but the two larger hoses with the crimped connectors are the main oil inlet and outlet lines.

• Zitat von arnie;81083

Did you get an oil-pressure warning-light on the dash?

The oil sump holds over 8 litres and although there is a leak from the hose, it's very unlikely that the oil level would have dropped low enough to cause problems. Loss of pressure might cuse the hydraulics tappets to become noticelably noisy, but this is a temporary effect.

The hose that you show in your picture with the oil squirting out is not part of the main oil-circuit. I think it's the return line from the pressure control valve, so it would seem unlikely that you lost main oil pressure. Check the line and see where it goes, but the two larger hoses with the crimped connectors are the main oil inlet and outlet lines.

I did get low pressure warnings along with a check oil level warning, it was at this point I parked it and waited for the recovery truck. In order to get it onto the truck I needed to put 5 litres of oil in it as the dipstick was reading empty, and, upon starting it, it sounded very rough.

• Well, as long as you stopped as soon as the warning lights appeared, your engine should be OK. Hopefully, the rough noises are from something else?

Check the ignition, as the impact may have damaged a coil.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!