Alpina Replica - Thoughts ?

• Hi Folks,

I recently bought some Alpina's and I've had some mad thoughts on whether it would be cool to go the full hog and create a replica. What are the thoughts on here

• Got the wheels - what other parts would I need ? Is the Alpina front and back bumbers the same.
    • Is there anywhere to source that Bonnet ? (at a reasonable price ?)
    • How would I get the decals.
    • Would it be a Cheesy / Chavvy idea to simply add the badges ?
    • Is there anywhere I could buy the badges ?

HOnest thoughts / comments welcome.

Here's my car

• Please leave it as it is now:cool:

"That bonnet' even a good replica cannot be had for less than £2500

The Badges are available from ebay, but were never fitted originally.

The side decals are available at around £120

the front spoiler would need changing [none alpina]

then of course there's the engine:hmmmm:

There's nothing wrong with a few tastefull upgrades[ bonnet] but in my opinion leave the badges to the chavs

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Why fix it if it ain't broke!!!

I would leave it as is. It looks smashin' as per the photo's. The Alpina wheels would be as far as I would go myself but I certainly wouldn't go any further. Why spoil it - she's lovely! Of course, just my opinion! :grin2:

• Leave it as it is. if you have the money buy an alpina. don't waste it on a lookalike.

• Gorgeous as it is Gary. :top:

Having seen it in the flesh, it is a credit to its previous and current owners

p.s. Gary, you missed a fab bmcc meet @ irvine yesterday !

There are 10 types of people in this world,
    those who understand binary code,
    and those who don't !

• I think that there is nothing wrong with an Alpina illusion. Alpina has sent them/parts for them out to Japan and the Middle East on occasion to satisfy their needs for lookalikes so there is precedence anyway without reason to be embarrassed ;)

It all boils down to personal preferences. Whereas the spoiler can be likened to a snow plough made in the 70´s the B12 5.7 hood looks like it came from a Klingon warbird :lol:

Affordable B12 5.7 lookalike hoods are manufactured by Thomas Engl over here. A good reason to test the max speed of your car if you come over and have it fitted :top:

The snow plough is a little more difficult. Alpina normally does not sell such parts to "everyone". You will need proof of ownership for certain items. Maybe it is worthwhile talking to Peter Rice wrt this.

As pointed out before Alpina decals/roundels only ever existed as fakes. Alpina never made them, they are quite happy being able to sell their cars with the official blessings of BMW.

The "Alpina" and B?? ?.? badges will cost you dearly - same caveats as for the front spoiler may apply. Only the front spoiler is way more expensive ;)

If I were to add the pin stripes I´d go for golden ones similar to B12 5.0 #50.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• On the one hand, I agree with people that your car looks fantastic as-is and leave well enough alone, on the other I also agree with Reinhard's opinions and facts. I see nothing wrong with emulating the most distinctive Aplina e31 feature-the hood-and personally I'd go so far as to add the front spoiler and perhaps the thin gold striping, the interior features are beautiful as well, but I'd never add the badges. Even a faithful dedicated reproduction of a B12 5.7 including all aspects would be extremely expensive and at the end of the day would still be a clone.
    I am directly involved in a reproduction Alpina hood project that will be available this late spring/early summer. It takes a completely different approach to Mr. Engl's fine offering, and I will leave it to all of you to decide what you think as to quality and price when it's available. As beautiful as your car is I would install an Alpina-like hood, make use of the NACA duct cooling for the intake runners and be done.

• reinhard: That picture was taken at Kleißler's old place? Seems very familiar to me.

Zitat

Whereas the spoiler can be likened to a snow plough made in the 70´s the B12 5.7 hood looks like it came from a Klingon warbird

Haha, excellent saying! :mrgreen:

Nevertheless, I like the Alpina front spoiler. It may be dated, but it does look aggressive.

• As one of the 10 Royal Red M62 840CiA Sports produced with a special Individual interior, it's my belief that this may devalue the car unless you keep all of the original components you remove for later re-installation when you decide to sell.

Putting on Alpina wheels would be cool. Just keep the originals with the vehicle.

If it were me looking to update an 8er with the Alpina B12 look, I would find a different 840/850 that could use some help and isn't in a rare collectable model range (e.g. an Orient Blue non-sport model).

• Zitat von Noggie;63546

I believe there is a guy in the US that is jut about to start production of a fiberglass Alpina replica.
    There is a thread on bimmerforums about this.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com…/showthread.php?t=1190998

Is this not the same as Radc mentions above??, also upon reading the thread,towards the end ,he mentions difficulties with the louvers?
    Is this really going to happen?

• Zitat von stevep840;63561

Is this not the same as Radc mentions above??, also upon reading the thread,towards the end ,he mentions difficulties with the louvers?
    Is this really going to happen?

I've just re-read the thread and didn't find anything from Randy moaning about the louvres but maybe it's in there somewhere. There was some discussion about crash durability of fibreglass but that was a wee while back. To be honest, I wouldn't want a FB bonnet but they are considerably cheaper than other options.

• Zitat von Argonaut;63563

I've just re-read the thread and didn't find anything from Randy moaning about the louvres but maybe it's in there somewhere. There was some discussion about crash durability of fibreglass but that was a wee while back. To be honest, I wouldn't want a FB bonnet but they are considerably cheaper than other options.

Post number 43 Jason,

• Hi All,
    Reinhard is quite right Alpina will only sell you genuine Alpina B12 5.7 parts if you can prove you actually own one of these cars.
    However the next problem is cost, I have just bought the replacement Alpina spoiler ( original damaged ) £715.00 + Vat Spoiler decal £55.00 + Vat. The wooden console is about £ 2500.00 + Vat. You need very deep pockets to do a genuine job. So why bother when your (GARC ) car looks superb, what is the point? you will never get your money back and you deminish the value of the car you have.
    Leave it looking as beautiful as it is.

• Wow - Really started a debate here.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts. Sounds like I'd need very deep pockets and it would de-value the car.

So - I think my conclusion is that I'll stick with the Alpina wheels only and leave the rest !

Cheers
    GARC:top:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!