How much fuel can you get in?

• I can never get more than about 70 litres in my car, even when the fuel gauge claims i'm running on fumes. The tank is supposed to be 90 litres?? Anyone ever got 90 litres or close in?

Since i've put new IM gaskets and new cat-less exhaust i've getting much better MPG, 18 to 25!!!!! But the range is still a miserable 300 miles. Is my fuel gauge lying to me?

• yes. your fuel gauge is off. get the fuel pump (under the right side rear seat) out and check if the floating thingy is ok (e.g. it shouldn't be bent). If it's not that, its the variable resistor on the floating thingy. Also the floating thingy on the other side needs to be checked.

• Hi Nick,

Most I ever got in was about 82litres and had been on reserve for about 30 miles, but no matter how delicately I drive have never managed to get the elusive 400miles out of a tank!!

Cheers

• I've managed to squeeze around 87 litres in the tank - almost running on memories!

With a tank full driving normally I've regularly returned 600km to one tank, using cruise control as much as possible I improved this to 740km but since fitting the wider tyres (295 rear/ 245 front) the economy has decreased noticably :(

My car is an M73

• I know I have put in over 80 liters, but then I have been driving with the warning lamp on for a while.

As for range on one tank, I have never checked.

I did'nt get this car for it's fuel consumption :laugh:

My computer tells me I'm averaging 15-16l/100km for my style of mixed driving

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von Argonaut;67527

Yes, I have seen 29mpg which I found very impressive. On the other hand, I've also seen 6 mpg

That is impressive!

A guy I once knew with an 850 told me he regularly got high 25-30mpg on long runs and said that the consumption noticeably improved, the longer the journey. He couldn't explain it but said he was told that the engine management picks up that you're in cruise mode and cuts half the cylinders!! A great story and one that to this day I have never really known whether 'fiction' or 'fantasy'.

Anybody else heard similar?

• fantasy.

Many car manufacturers have experienced with cutting cylinders (an '81 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, for exampe, able to run on 4, 6, or 8 cylinders), including Mercedes. But none have actually continued their research activities. As a matter of fact, cutting injection AND closing the valves perminently would considerably reduce mileage. But the additional cost for the valve-train has never been approved by any car manufacturer.

There are many more interesting concepts but none have made it into serious series production (with the exception of the above mentioned Cadillac).

all in all - mileage will improve simply because oil and fuel sludge build-up is removed (partly) due to the higher temperatures.

• When the warning light comes on I work on having 10 litres left, as it usually takes 80 to top up. By the way, on the way back from Le Mans this year we had to pay E1.43 a litre on the payage. Can I claim a record for this? Re MPG, I once did a test on the M6 and at a steady 75mph I eased 32mpg out of the old girl.

What about oil? My M62 did 7K between purchase and the next service and I never needed to top up. I had been warned to expect "some" oil useage, so this was a real result. Is it typical?

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

Do every act of your life as if it were your last.

• similar story here...i got almost 28mpg out of my M62 and roughly 480 miles out of a full tank (around £80 worth) very impressed! and that was mixed driving ( A roads...sitting in north london rush hour M1 traffic...swift motorway driving...etc ).

:)

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

• Zitat von sprucegoose;67562

Re MPG, I once did a test on the M6 and at a steady 75mph I eased 32mpg out of the old girl.

Forgot the important bit - that was using Shell 99 Ron. Worth a few extra pennies for the additional power and mpg in my book. Don't put anything else in now unless I have to.

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

Do every act of your life as if it were your last.

• In reading the petrol reports from y'all it's scarey. I know we've all gotten in situations with no gas station anywhere, but these poor fuel pumps.... they're cooled with fuel and not a good idea to run on low regularly.

• Zitat von rcrad6653;67642

In reading the petrol reports from y'all it's scarey. I know we've all gotten in situations with no gas station anywhere, but these poor fuel pumps.... they're cooled with fuel and not a good idea to run on low regularly.

The pumps are cooled by the fuel going thru them. Not by submersion or they would be damaged every time you went below half a tank and they were uncovered.

Don't worry. Be happy! but don't run out.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• For what its worth, I have hit 30mgp on the motorway in my 1997 4.4 (not sure what engine number). But I have to admit it was during a stretch of the M25 where the average speed limit was 50 mph, and my wife was driving.

• Speed......

Zitat von Deep;67791

For what its worth, I have hit 30mpg on the motorway in my 1997 4.4 (not sure what engine number). But I have to admit it was during a stretch of the M25 where the average speed limit was 50 mph, and my wife was driving.

Now that's interesting.....for I've found the optimum speed for best consumption is 70-80mph (28mpg) but if I drop to below 60mph, the consumtion creeps up (25mpg). On a long long run...say 250 miles, cruising with speedo at High Noon (keeping a good lookout for feds)....I have got 24mpg.
    M62 4.4

Trouble is you soon lose it all having fun!

• Zitat

Now that's interesting.....for I've found the optimum speed for best consumption is 70-80mph (28mpg) but if I drop to below 60mph, the consumtion creeps up (25mpg). On a long long run...say 250 miles, cruising with speedo at High Noon (keeping a good lookout for feds)....I have got 24mpg.
    M62 4.4

Trouble is you soon lose it all having fun!

I would second that !!!
    Unfortunately I have my arm in a sling so itching to get back in the drving seat, until then being driven around by my wife.:roll:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!